iBook motherboard problems

AdamF

Registered
I recently had to get my hard drive swapped out due to the old one blowing but was also having lots of freezing and crashes leading up to this. I've just got my iBook G4 12" 1Ghz back from the Apple Center and now it constantly starts up into the blue screen of death and on the odd occasion the desktop does actually appear the iBook freezes up completely after a couple of minutes. Having looked on google, this seems to be a major proble with the G3's but is it common with G4's, and what can I do about it considering its out of warranty? Is it time for a new Mac?

try putting pressure just left of your trackpad when you start up.

SOMETIMES it gets it to work.

(my ibook had this problem the DAY AFTER warranty/applecare was up.)

I would have held on to it and had the motherboard replaced by Apple. They are doing it for free since it was a defect. Oh well... :eek:

do you think apple would replace mine?

i have the same PROBLEM AGIAN.

when i call mac they say 'they wont' fix it for free.

maybe if i go to an apple store?

HELP!!

perhaps it's your tact

i would say, yes, go to an apple store, but don't go in there demanding things, go in there asking things, and be polite the entire time.

my 5 yr old ibook wasn't even included in the program any more, let alone under warranty, but i got it done for free.

I did actually ask in my Apple Centre about a free repair as a sign of good will (I've been a customer there for years) but was told no chance and the quote on a new motherboard was £550 with £100 labour costs (overall about $1100 U.S. money). By the way anybody heard the rumours that the early macbooks and macbook pro's are dogged with a nasty motherboard problem? I was told this by an Apple employee so i'm inclined to believe it. First the 5300, then the ibook/powerbooks and now the intels. Has Apple ever made a reliable laptop (excluding the 1400)?

I've got through two 5300's and an ibook g4, my sisters got through a 5300 and her ibook g3 is on its last legs. The desktops are great, never had a single problem with any of mine but the laptops (and the guys at the repair place agree with me) always seem to be slightly dodgy.

Back