liquidstrife

Raver and Programmer
Hey, I got an iBook. Here's da specs:<BR>
600mhz G3<BR>
384mb of RAM<BR>
12 inch display<BR>
DVD/CD-RW Combo drive<BR>
20 gig hard drive<BR>
<BR>and a buncha other stuff. So, I got a nice camcorder but it's not DV. I want to hook it up somehow that INEXPENSIVE ENOUGH so that I can get it into iMovie 2 or just onto my hard drive into an avi or Quicktime file so that i can edit it some. Like add a soundtrack or title etc....point is, its not DV, any ideas? Thanks.

The cheapest thing I know of is this:

http://www.eskapelabs.com/mytv.html

which uses USB. Not sure if it's compatible with iMovie. Should run about $150 bucks.

There's also the Sony DA1 converter, which uses Firewire, and converts an anolog signal to DV, so it should work with iMovie (definitely works with Final Cut). This will cost you about $300 buck though.

thanks man, i appreciate it. i saw a converter at compusa for like $60 but it looked like crap, plus it wasnt DV at all. I really should convert analog to DV for editing and quality purposes eh? By the way, can you edit existing files on your hard drive in iMovie? Like skating.avi or meandfriendbox.mpg or ihateyou.qt ? Hows it work? thanks

It can import a variety of audio formats, and still graphics formats, but for video I think it can only import a DV stream. Looks like they trying to sell more copies of Final Cut by limiting the feature set of iMovie.

I suspect that all of the cheap-o USB capture devices probably produce a fairly low-quality video file. I can't say for sure because I've never used them, but I can't see how they could squeeze a high quality signal through a USB connection.

Back