iBook Noise

mpbnl8182

Registered
Hi,

My iBook (G3 800) recently started making a loud "whirring" sound whenever I turn it on, coming from the left side, right next to the trackpad. Is this the fan? I have never heard it before, and it's quite loud, for a notebook fan if that's the case. Has anyone else experienced this? The only thing that worries me is I haven't heard this at all for the first 5 moths or so i've owned it.

Thanks,

MP

Put it further from your ears, further... further... further... send it to me :)

2 things come to mind:

1. It might actually be the optical drive. If you left a CD in there, it'll spin up, thus makign the fan that cools the CD drive spin as well.

2. Fans get wear and tear after a couple months, when they get old and used they're not as quiet as they once were. Dust build up can also cause this.

My iBook G4800 makes a fan type noise if I have it on for more than 5 or 6 hours. It only lasts a few minutes and then it stops. I always thought it was strange but it did not bother me too much, as long as it went away quickly. Probably just a dust bunny gets in the fan.

Back