iBook ona Win2K/Novell network

Hypernate

McGeek
Hey

Can anyone help me with a network problem?

OK, at school we use a Windows 2000/Novell Netware network, and I want to connect a 600mhx iBook to it. The tech guys refuse to help so it's all up to me.

Apparently, to access the net, all I need to do is plug in the ethernet cable and put in the proxy as 192.168.95.4 with the port 8080. I can do that, and set up a new location to do so in without any problems.

However, we all have a home directory on the server, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to connect to that?

Also, is there a way to put anythig in the menu bar that would allow me to change locations quickly? I hate having to go through the network preferences.

Thanks.

Ok, connecting to the internet shouldn't be a problem if you enter the proxy information.

As for accessing your home directory, if it's hosted on a Windows machine, get DAVE 3.1.1 and you should be able to view everything eaisly. You can also access windows network servers from CMD-K by entering something like slmb://workgroup;computer-name in the Connect To window, but I don't remember the protocol name (it's not slmb://, but something similar).

Originally posted by Hypernate
OK, at school we use a Windows 2000/Novell Netware network, and I want to connect a 600mhx iBook to it. The tech guys refuse to help so it's all up to me.
It will depend on what version of Novell your school uses.

Novell Version 5.0 needs macintosh client software from prosoft engineering.

Novell version 5.1 can have the native file access pack installed on the server as an add on, then macs, pcs and unix boxes can all connect natively without the need for any client software.

Novell version 6 is the same as version 5.1 but the native file access pack is included in the package.

If the native file pack is installed you should be able to access your home folders through the chooser or tcp/ip and printers can be used the same way.

if it is a windows server, you might want to try smb browse at version tracker. I never could get sbm://... to work, but smb browse works, it is freeware and has a nice graphical browser.

if you are using novell 6 you should be able to select connect to server from the finder and type the IP address of the server in the address field (no prefixes or anything, just the plain IP address) to open an AppleShare IP connection. I do this to connect to SNAP servers at work.

I don't think there is anything you can do to connect to a Novell server using IPX.

*sigh* I obviously won't be able to ever connect to the network structure because my school's admins are not going to install any ad-ons to their server just so I can connect a singe mac to it. I think they use 5.1 or 6...

Back