iBook screen dissolving

onegoodpenguin

i am fish.
I was taking notes in my lecture on Thursday when the screen on my iBook 700 randomly appeared to dissolve and fade. With the system clearly frozen, I rebooted, and nothing happened after the startup sound. Forcing another restart, the system booted up and worked fine... for five minutes, and then the screen dissolved again. I've tried again a couple times with similar results... does anybody have any ideas? I'm losing it here.

what do you mean "dissolving"? does the screen get darker and then pop up a flat grey window that says you need to restart in 7 languages? if so, this is a kernel panic [yes, apple managed to find a way to make a kernel panic pretty]

I'd like to see one of those screens. It could probably be even a faulty logic card - there are screens from those problems in discussions.apple.com - there in ibook, and there in screen category. scroll back for the topics of november / september - there were plenty of topics about it in that time. The 'book completelly froze, so just brute restart ..

Oh, I've seen the pretty kernel panic, mind you :) This dissolving is quite different. The screen's image seems to suddenly begin dissolving like a crappy PowerPoint transition, and fading to a bright whitish color (I say color because there are shades of pastel in this white) with vertical blocks in it. It's really disturbing. Nothing ever happens after this, though I admit I haven't left it in this state for more than 5 minutes. I doubt that letting it sit for an hour would yield any different results though, and I fear that it could be damaging to the system (Ha, as if the system isn't already damaged!). Anyway, I'm really busy w/ school today, but I'll try to make a quicktime movie of it happening so you can all see what I'm talking about. The biggest challenge will be figuring out how to work w/ video on a PC... j/k. Please keep posting ideas for what will be wrong, it really helps.

Update: I found a helpful thread on Apple's support page regarding what sounds like an identical problem occuring with many people's machines. Has anyone on this board suffered from the same problem? It looks like I'll have to replace the logic board. Here is the link to the page.

Okay, i had a faulty logic card. So my 'book was sent to be fixed, it took about 10 days and it works perfectly now.

This is how it looked when it froze. So screen started not to do anything, nothing worked .. and then i saw this and similar screens (brutally switch off + back on resolved for 5 - 10 minutes normally). also this was what i saw sometimes (10.1 as you can see).

The video looks good to explain better the problem. Mine frost to really bar codes, b/w vertical stripes with variations, up to 20 - 50 times a day... On the video it does not look _that_ bad, but i'd guess it still is the logic card. So when you can stay 7-10 days without your book, send it to be fixed ... [If it's not that, they will tell you what it is or was then. Use the warranty...] :)

I noticed that it only happens when I move it. It will usually not crash if it's perfectly still, but if I tilt or move it slightly the problem is immediately replicated.

I had the same problem on my old 1400c PowerBook, it was the battery not seated completly, exact the same effect!

My logic card thing .. it seemed first to happen only if i was using with the electricity (uh, "not with only battery") and less if with battery - but the difference went away and it started to happen more and more often. Where is your ibook when that happens, freely on table (nothing touching below or behind the screen) ?

Giaguara's screenshots brought back memories... very bad ones. Fortunately, the guy who sold me the iBook is also a techie... and took care of it. Heh, actually, when I gave it to him it was worse than that.... no screen at all.. because I had restarted the computer so many times... trying to burn data into CDs... for backup. After so many restarts, it'd take long for the Finder to load. Very long! So, if I were you.. I'd back up my data... I'm thinking it'll get worse.

Back