iBook screen size

Biff

Thinking Different
I would like to hear feedback from iBook 500 MHz users in regards to the screen size and quality.

I am currently using a PowerBook G3 333 and since Apple doesn't seem to want to support my machine I am considering moving to an iBook 500 MHz with DVD. This means I will be going from a nice 14 inch screen to a 12 inch screen.

The screen size is not a problem at all for me. And I've recently converted from a 19" monitor to using JUST an iBook.

The 1024x768 is very nice, and the screen is really bright and sharp. You'd really love it.

I've said it before and I have the feeling that I'll have to say it again: As the iBook's screen becomes larger, the notebook itself becomes larger. If you want to buy a sub-compact notebook, then you don't want a large screen. The iBook dual/usb's screen is simply incredible; the level of detail it shows is astounding and it simply looks gorgeous under OSX. All that, and it's about as big as a standard notebook; it fits in my backpack just like a book. I was seriously considering a Sony Vaio until Steve announced the new iBook; I signed up for it on the first day it came up for sale. I love the darn thing, it's everything I hoped it would be. If they made the screen larger (like 13"), it would be a bad thing for me. If you want a portable workstation, then the PowerBook is what you're looking for. If you want a true portable that can go everywhere you do, then the iBook is for you.

Originally posted by ink
I've said it before and I have the feeling that I'll have to say it again: As the iBook's screen becomes larger, the notebook itself becomes larger. If you want to buy a sub-compact notebook, then you don't want a large screen. The iBook dual/usb's screen is simply incredible; the level of detail it shows is astounding and it simply looks gorgeous under OSX. All that, and it's about as big as a standard notebook; it fits in my backpack just like a book. I was seriously considering a Sony Vaio until Steve announced the new iBook; I signed up for it on the first day it came up for sale. I love the darn thing, it's everything I hoped it would be. If they made the screen larger (like 13"), it would be a bad thing for me. If you want a portable workstation, then the PowerBook is what you're looking for. If you want a true portable that can go everywhere you do, then the iBook is for you.

"What he said..." ;)

I couldn't agree more. I had actually been agonizing over whether to get an iBook or a TiBook (I do love X so... :) ), and a major factor in the decision to get the iBook was that it was smaller and lighter than the TiBook. (The Sony, BTW, never stood a chance...). I love that I can fling my 'book in my backpack and haul it with me to work, and not feel like I'm hauling half my office with me. Granted, the TiBook isn't that much heavier, but it is bigger.

In many ways, the iBook answers the promise that I'd hoped for years ago with the PowerBook 2400c - a very small, lightweight machine with as much bang in the space as possible. The 2400 almost fit the bill, but didn't quite get there (for me), but the iBook is just so very very sweet.

Another contributing factor was the combo drive. If the TiBooks had these, I'd have had a much harder time deciding. But as it was, I was able to get a nicely equipped (combo/256/20G/Airport) iBook for slightly more than the base model TiBook.

To the original question, the screen is (as others have attested) sharp and clear, and although only 12", is very comfortable to work with for extended periods of time.

Something you might consider a factor is the keyboard. With less real estate to work with, the keyboard is smaller than what is on your current 'book. If you've a local retailer you can go look at the iBook at, spend some time in TextEdit, and get a sense of whether you can live with the smaller keyboard. The folks at CompUSA must have thought I was writing a novel with as much time as I spent just typing and typing and typing on the display model. I tend to be very picky about the keyboards on my machines (which is the other reason the Sony didn't make the cut), and I've found the iBook, although small, quite nice.

The keyboard question notwithstanding, I'd say go get one. Right now. You know you want to.. :D

I guess I'll toss my keyboard opinion in the mix now...

I'm a pretty big guy with some big mits, and I really don't have a problem typing on this thing. lIt's keyboard and the TiBook's keyboard are basically the same.

Thank you guys. After I sell of my PowerBook G3 I will be making a trip to the local Apple Store to buy a new iBook. I will at least wait until the new models are introduced which should be Tuesday.

Originally posted by Biff
It is Tuesday! 600 MHz @100MHz bus and DVD looks good to me.
Have fun with it! I just got my DVD/CDRW upgraded to a 30gb drive. Now I'm wondering about clocking the bus up to 600mhz -- but I think I'll wait until the gearheads take apart the 600mhz version to see what the true differences are.

Do you mean that you took your iBook in and had them replace your harddrive with a 30 gig'r?

If that is what you mean, where'd you go for this and how much did it cost?

I read something saying that the increase in performance is only 10%. When I went to buy the new iBook I noticed they had the DVD 500 MHz model $500 off (Canada). I picked one of those up instead. I love it! Although I can't wait until they put my 20 GB hard drive in it and a lot more RAM. I don't think the extra speed is worth the extra price.

To have my 20 GB hard drive put into my iBook it will cost me $45 CAD or $30 US. This is done at our Apple retail store.

Back