iBook Sleep Problem SOLVED!

originaljohn

Registered
At long last, I have managed to solve the sleeping problem that has plagued by notebook.

My iBook would intermittently fail to return from sleep after it had been in sleep for a while (perhaps greater than an hour).

This is a problem that apparently many people have faced, and there have been several posted solutions, including the disabling of AppleTalk, the activation of "Wake for network administrative access" setting in the Energy Saver part of the Control Panel. For an extensive discussion of this subject, see the Apple support forums.

None of these solutions helped me. Fortunately, I was able to find that my computer consistently failed to return from ANY sort of sleep in OS 9.2.2. This made me suspicious of a hardware problem.

Turns out that the defect was a faulty 512mb stick memory. Removal of the offending memory stick removed all problems related to sleep.

So the bottom line is, for those of you who are still wrestling with sleep/wake problems, one additional trouble-shooting step should be to remove all addtional memory from your system, to see if that helps.

Back