ibook that is in a constant panic

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
ok, g4 ibook, 1ghz, 1.25gig ram, airport g card, 30gig hd, combo drive, ati radeon 32mb video, 12in lcd, aka, early 2004. i bought it used for school from owc, and it came with 10.3 and a bunch of stuff on it. 1st thing i did was install 10.4 and updated it to 10.4.10. i also installed g4 fan control to have the fan come on sooner so as to not burn my lap. used imagine bootx to change the apple logo at startup to something else of my choosing. installed menu meters to display network traffic, and temperature monitor lite to display the cpu temp. installed audim for im'ing, and it installed growl. i installed the dashboard widgets istat pro 4.1, temperature monitor, and radar in motion. installed the apps neo office 2, the gimp, graphic converter, and iphoto from ilife 05, as well as enabled front row. i also had it set up to always start in verbose mode too, as well as require a password every startup and wake from sleep and screen saver.
ok, the issue, for the 1st week all was ok, but then it started having iusses waking if it had been a sleep for more than a couple hours, sometimes it would go right back to sleep, other times it would lock up. then it started happing more often, no matter how long it had been asleep. then i'd have to reboot, and it would sometime lock up, and i'd have to reboot again. then one day it said i had over 2000 hours left on the battery, so i figured that the pmu needed resetting, so i did. then it at that time got stuck waiting for g4 fan control, so i rebooted and reset pram, and it did goto the login window, and i login. as soon as it got to the desktop i got the "you need to restart the computer message, the one with the on/off button piture behind it. i did and it seemed ok after that, until i went to wake it later in the day. anyway, now i get that message almost all the time, weither i wake from sleep, or reboot. everyonce in a while i get a kernel panic. most times it just freezes at the blue screen right before the login window. so i went all the way to reset the open firmware, and now it doesn't even make it to the login window. but it boots from 10.4 and 10.3 install disks just fine, and right now i'm zeroing the hard drive and installing 10.3 back onto it. does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong. is it a bad combo of apps and utilities, corrupt os install, bad hard drive, battery, airport, ram, or something else? i figure that if i intall all the same apps, minus the widgets as 10.3 doesn't have dashboard, on 10.3 and it still happens, then its hardware. if it runs fine, then there is something with 10.4 that it wasn't liking, but what, as i have done all the same things to my desktop g4 and it has never had any issues (well, it never gets put to sleep as that has never worked on it.).

no good. no info pertaining to the 'book in those links. and i'm getting the same errors with 10.3, so there is something wrong with the 'book. that and the hard drive now sounds funky. back it goes...

Back