iBook to Windows XP from wireless to ethernet

MarkMS

Registered
OK! I have gotten Internet Sharing to work before and I believe it was using Panther. I'm also pretty sure it was working in Tiger, but recently it just stopped.

This is what was working, but not anymore. I have a iBook G4 1.33GHz that connects to my belkin router wirelessly. I get a good connection from it. Now I want to share my wireless internet from the Airport card to the built-in Ethernet using a crossover cable that connects to the ethernet of my Windows xp laptop [DSL ->router ->wireless card on iBook -> ethernet iBook -> to Windows ethernet]. It worked before with the crossover cable,but not anymore, so i have now switched to a regular cat5 network cable. Still nothing works. I have also formatted and reinstalled Mac OS X Tiger and ran all updates and also formatted the windows machine but cannot receive any internet. Windows nor iBook have firewall in place until I get this to work. Only router has firewall.

I have turned on appletalk in the airport settings and have set up internet sharing. now when i go to the built-in ethernet under tcp/ip it says the dhcp ip address is 168.254.204.XXX. I tell it to renew the dchp lease and it stays the same. I have turned on Apple Talk in "built-in ethernet" and still no luck. I have set up IPv4 manually, using DHCP with manual address, using DHCP, and using bootP in built-in ethernet and NOTHING WORKS. I have tried looking at the router and everything seems fine. Wireless internet works flawlessly on iBook, I just can not get it to share because of the "built-in ethernet" 168.254 ip address. I have also set up IPv6 to automatic and still nothing. Please any help will be greatly appreciated!

I'm running out of options and have been working on this for over 5 hrs and I'm running out of patience. I'm sorry if this has sort of thread has been on here before, I have Yahoo'd and Google'd for a while and have had absolutely on luck!

Hello,
I am not sure why you would want to connect that way. It would be much easier to connect with a wireless card / network cable in the Windows computer directly into the router directly any bypass the Mac completely.

The router is about 100 feet away. iBook is in the master bedroom and the router is in the toy room. I've been thinking of just running a cable from the toy room to the master bedroom, but this worked before with Panther. Thought it was me losing my mind, turns out alot of people are having the same problems with Tiger. I might just go back to Panther if push comes to shove.

Back