iBook Trouble

doofy10

Registered
I just got a 700 mhz iBook. I also bought Harmon Kardon soundsticks with it. I have been using the system quite a bit for the past 2 days. Today, all of a sudden, the sound stopped but they were still on. Now my 2nd USB port (the one they were plugged in) will not work. Did I blow a fuse or something?? How can I fix it??
-Doofy

Well first are you running 9 or X? Also, have you tried restarting? USB (at least in my experience) can get "confused" and it takes a good reboot or two to set it straight again.

I'm using OSX. I restarted and it is fine now. It just seems like its really easy to blow the ports though. After the first one went, I plugged the soundsticks into the second one and that one went. I dunno, maybe I have a short or something.
-Doofy

Yes, the Sound Sticks do take up a lot of USB Bandwidth, but shouldn't frequently blow a USB port. You may want to take advantage of your AppleCare 90 day phone support and call up Apple Support and ask if it's a known issue or something you should have checked, just to be safe. Because it would suck to have it start happening again after your free Apple Care runs out.

i second dricci's recommendation.... you dont want crap like this happening, that is for sure.

I just got off the phone with Applecare and they told me that the Soundsticks shutting off is a common problem with OS X. He said that it is due to the fact that Apple has struggled with perfecting USB audio support in OS X. Basically, it is not finished. He also said that he anticipates full USB audio support in 10.2 (and hinted at an August release date!)
-Doofy

Back