ibook update?

coachingguy

Registered
Does anyone have any idea if Apple is planning to go Aluminum with their ibook line too? I was at the Mall of America - Apple Store a few weeks ago and I asked that of one of the "Geniuses" and he very mysteriously said "March my be interesting in that regard." and then walked away. I love the look of the Albooks, but for what I do (teaching/coaching) the G3 is just fine right now and from the speed tests I've seen the ibook holds it's own against the 12". Anyone know anything?javascript:smilie(':)')

i doubt it'll go aluminum. my guess is that it will be redesigned. it'll stay G3 for awhile longer to.

the mac geniuses really dont know anymore than we do but like us, they are big Mac fans and scour all the news & rumors sites. march seems like as good as time as any. im guessing they'll be released along side the redesigned 15" PowerBook.

well, considering the G3 750 is supposed to top out at 1GHz, i think we have a few G3 iBook revisions to go.
then theres life after the 750 with gobi.

now with the 12" pBook being so similar to the iBook, switching to a G4 would be suicide. the G3 is going to be with us at least until the G5 or whatever Apple wants to call it debuts.

its a great chip, especially at 800MHz. altivec isnt the answer to everything.

iBook will not go G4. The iBook was designed to be Apple's budget notebook. Therefore it will stay on the low end. If they would not have 2 12" G4 notebooks. Its just would not make sence. The price of the G4 iBooks would be very close to the G4 powerbook. Which would you choose? In my opinion, the iBook should not be redesigned, it is beautiful already. If they are though, they should wait untill they do make the G4 iBooks, which should only happen when they have G5 Powerbooks.

Yet, the G4 iMac is cheaper than the single processor PowerMac G4...

What if in March the pBook just turns into several G4 iBooks? It would be nice - and about time.

Certainly depends on processor advancements. But the iBooks could turn G4 without MHz enhancements, when the 15" PowerBook is updated...

Yet, I don't believe it. It'll stay G3... Alu? Why. The iBook is already quite sexy.

I like more the iBook look than the powerbooks, but i think i'll have t o migrate sooner or later to a PB ...

I dont know how true this is, but it would not make any sense.

G3 is perfectly good CPU. iBook 800 is not much slower than 12" PB at non altivec apps. And consumer market is not about heavy use of altivec apps. So G3 is kinda perfect. And with clocks up tp 1ghz and more it will go along with other CPUs trough time.

G3 is very efficient. It has low consumption so battery life can be very long compared to other laptops. With G4 and same battery iBook would loose some battery life and that is not what iBook users want. And with same battery as 12" PB has it would be more expensive.

Why would apple have 2 almost identical computers in their line. 12" PB is allready too much like iBook, but if iBook got G4 they probably wont sell much of them.

This is just how i see things. I would like to see over 1gig iBooks on next revision with firewire 800 and bluetooth and builtin airport. That would be cool. And they realy should consider combo drives in ALL models, or atleast DVD drive.
Also, price drop is always nice :)

When I read the thread title I thought, "They already updated the iBook. They just called it a 12" PowerBook."

I assumed that the iBook would fade away and that the various PowerBooks would take their place. However, I would trust the guys on the rumour site before I would place any faith in my own wild guessing. :)

Back