iBook VGA-out support

onegoodpenguin

i am fish.
As the proud owner of a 12" 2002 iBook, I absolutely love the gorgeous display. Even at 1024x768, I find that I have enough room to do most things. Lately, however, I've been doing more graphical work and would enjoy being able to connect to a 19" CRT and work at a higher resolution, yet it is not an option even with the VGA adapter. It seems that this should be possible, because there are 16MB of memory, and I have worked at 1280x1024 on much less chipsets with fewer than 8MB of VRAM. If anyone has any suggestions (or sympathy, :p) please leave your thoughts.

Under Mac OS X, the display is "mirrored" to the VGA terminal and so it is not possible to set the res to anything higher than the inbuilt 1024 x 768. The thinking behind this is pretty obvious, but it is an annoyance to some people.

I've heard that you can get around this if you're running Linux, though that probably doesn't help you much. It does, however, show that it is a software issue and not a hardware one.

I'd express sympathy, but to be honest, 1024 x 768 is good for a laptop as tiny as the iBook.

Back