ibook won't boot

brody

Registered
ibook won't boot, i tried starting up in single user mode to run 'fsck' with no luck, I get allot of "extention cannot be found errors and "can't get dependencies for kernel extentions" errors followel by the final "disk0s6: 0x8 (UNDEFINED)cant exec /bin/sh for ect/rc: no such file or directory
cant exec /bin/sh for sigle user: no such file or directory"
which repeats...
I tried bootng for a 10.2 cd to run the disk utility and i get a "cataloge b tree error" but I can't reinstall (archive install) because the hard disk is unmounted and won't mount (I does allow me the option to repartition, but i want to do that as a last resort) I tried to boot to an os9 cd and got a device error and the message to turn extentions off (cant that be done at the same time as booting from a cd?).
I ran the hardware test cd and everything passed? Any ideas?

Yea you have major problems. I use NortonSystem works 2 to fix my drives, i just had a B-tree probl;em earlier this week and I ran norton on the same partition until there were no problems found. Afte i did that, booted up from my Jaq install CD and ran disck repair, then ran repair privs.

...it wouldnt allow you to install 10.2 on your drive because it wasnt mounted???? grrrr thats probably why i couldnt. how can you mount it?

an update - brody, now im in the same situation as you...but when i turn on my pismo, it will go as far as "Mac OS X" screen, and finish loading, and then give a blue screen...help!!!!!!

yea, I had that, i installed X in place, then use the combo update. Because i ran all types of checks and they all came back with no problems, it was my last resort. I hate thjat damn blue screen, luckly i didn't see it with 10.2.5 update.

If you have the Norton Systemworks or Norton Utilities CD, you can boot from that and repair your drive (even though it is booting into 9). The latest version of systemworks also has diskwarrior recovery edition on it - diskwarrior repairs drives that Norton cannot.

Alternately, if you have the Drive 10 bootable cd you can boot from that and also repair your drive.

I ended up breaking down and erasing, repartitioning, and reinstalling just to get the system folder "?" and when i boot in verbose or singleuser mode startup stops with disk0s9 (NDEFINED) error. I can't figure out whats wrong for the life of me, but it passes hardware tests?

Back