Ibook won't start

Yes, that's what I mean. I can't get the ibook to boot from the CD. It just goes to the happy mac and the swirling rainbow and then shuts off.

Is it a keyboard issue ? the "hold on C" command isn't working ?
You said you're on the bluescreen and the swirling rainbow, so it might intend to boot on X. Did you try a fsck -y ?
Hold on command-s at startup, in the unix-like window, type the command above. Do it until your startup volume is said to be OK.

I am a real novice at this. Please explain in laymen terms how to do that and I will try it right now. I'm heart sick that it's not working.:(

you're gonna start in single user. Reboot while holding on the apple and the "s" key, until white letters appears on a black screen. Wait for it stops writing, and the type "fsck -y" (with a blank space) then press return.
A few tests will run. Some might be a little long, and may say things like "incorrect .... repaired".
If something has been repaired, run "fsck -y" again and again until it runs without repairing anything.
then type "exit".
Your mac may start.
If it doesn't, come back.

You may have missed the beginning of this. I loaded OS 10.1 then 9.2 and then 10.1 again because it kept starting in classic and since then it won't reboot. I'll try this and let yu know the results.

I tried the fsck -y. That went well but it still didn't start my ibook. It still returns to the happy mac with the swirling rainbow and then it goes to black. I hear it running or doing something but the screen is black and nothing happens.:(

Turn on the iBook and then take a bent paperclip and press one end into the teeny tiny reset button above and to the right of the headphone jack on the side of your iBook to reset it. This works magic sometimes when nothing else works (sure did after I accidentally stuck a peice of metal into one of my firewire ports on my iBook :D) good luck.

If you tried everything that has been advised in this thread, and if no third-party components have been installed, and it still doesn't work, I'm afraid Testuser is right : you have serious hardware issues.
If this happened just after a new install, it's possible your HD has been corrupted, and so your firmware if CD booting isn't enabled.
If your iBook is brand new, giving back to your Apple Dealer is a good solution for sure.
Anyone has any idea before ?

If holding down the C key with your System Disk in the CDROM drive doesn't allow you to boot off the CD, then you need to call tech support because you have some deep issues.

Possible problems:
-Firmware is corrupted ( A strong possiblity judging from your posts)
-Hardware is defective - keyboard, Cd-ROM to name a few.

Only a Apple certified technicians can fix these. So, I hope you are still under warranty

Back