iCal and iSynce confirmation

uoba

Re: member
Can someone confirm whether the above are in with the printed Jagwyre CDs?

(I think it was ThinkSecret that commented that they would be released in September as a download.)

Originally posted by wdw_
I have iCal.:cool:

But I'm not telling how, by request of Ed.;)

I have iCal as well. You know, I was really UN-excited when I heard Steve talk about it, but I downloaded it anyway and now I'm actually kind of addicted to it. Its got some cool features like emailing you 1 day before an event happens, or making a little window pop up a few minutes before you're supposed to leave somewhere. The only problem with the alarm is that it requires iCal to be open at that specific time :rolleyes:

As a side note, I am looking forward to iCal because the quicker I can ditch Office X the better. I would love Apple to start building things to replace Entourage's features... and with Apple's and MS' relationship turning increasing frosty again, it's looking good;)

By the way fryke, you still got your Office alternatives site up??

Yup. http://mac.fryke.com/cocoaoffice (gotta re-add a link to mac.fryke.com) ... I'll update it as soon as I have a _working_ version of iCal. The one I have is a bit ... limited.

(For those who don't know: CocoaOffice is a simple plan to replace MS Office with better, cheaper, neater Cocoa applications. I'm actively using most of the apps mentioned there. Send me a mail if you have related info...)

lol....
I have an excemption clause in my contract :p lol (when I am on vacation that is :p) ---- Sounds cool :) -- I wonder if its going to be linked to contacts and mail lol...that would be cool :D (ical + mail + contacts = outlook made by mac lol :p)

I wonder if pocketmac will be able to sync with this...it would be cool :D

I don't see iCal taking over Entourage no time soon. I would love to see some company do it, because Office is a waste to me, all i use is Word and Entourage, well actually mostly Entourage X. I'll try iCal, but I can't see it replacing the all in one usefulness of Entourage. Apple really needs to let go of that Quicktime looking border of their apps. I would love to see iChat have floating bubbles that distort whatever is laying under it. Aqua has so many possibilities, i just wish they used them.

I get Office for free from my Job (I just pay the media costs).
My university has worked out some site lisence for employees so I can get it for free ... well somewhat , I pay a smaaaaaaall fee in order to pay back for the license lol... (M$ is sneaky...give it for free, or almost free to teh academic people, they will use it, get depended and they will force their students to buy it....)

Anyway, I use entourage for mail only. No contacts, no dates/notes. I use my PDAs for that. However if apple were to make an app comparable to entourage I would use it for that too, in order to sync my PDAs.

As for office, at work I use excel and word. At home, I rarelly use word. I can do the same tasks in text edit, and now with OS X I can get spell/grammar checking system wide (right?)

I hate my PDA, it's a great idea, just hard to quickly do what i want. Graffiti is ok, but sometimes i forget how to do certain letters... so thats a pain. My PDA is an very expensive Calculator, phone book, and organizer. I got it from my sister so no lost to me. Well you can't spell check in IE yet, that would be a nice feature, highlight your text, hit a key, it's checked. Or highlight and control click for the option to spell check.

Yes, OS X _has_ system wide spell checking. For Cocoa applications. IE hasn't got it, but OmniWeb makes good use of it (almost all words are underlined here, while I'm typing, as of course I'm using 'German' as my default language while typing in English here...

iCal, iSync, Address Book and Mail _will_ replace Entourage X on many computers, I'm sure. It will - at least - on mine and some of my friends' computers.

Btw. I'll update my CocoaOffice pages on mac.fryke.com with iCal, Address Book, Mail and iSync, as soon as the two new iApps are out.

Same here, it looks like I'll being using them instead also... sorry Admiral... I did notice you where away for a while... just plain forgot:D

a bit off-topic: i've been using okito composer for quite a while now, i'm right now writing my new book on it. it still has its flaws (at version 0.4d i think that's normal), but it works as promised for basic writing, which is all i want at that stage anyway. i usually send RTF-text files to my editor or layout the books myself (isn't it great to be a writer _and_ a layouter/graphics designer?) in InDesign.

are there any other people actively using Okito Composer? or any other apps from the cocoaoffice suite? http://mac.fryke.com/cocoaoffice ... i'm interested in user reviews and experience comments...

I just started using the Apple Address book out side of entourage and it's not that bad, straight forward. I still like the all in one of Entourage X. I can run applescripts from Entourage on a given schedule to update my info for AIM or maybe iChat, considering iChat will be scriptable. I made a script that read the current playing track of iTunes and places it into the profile of my AIM account. I hope these new apps allow me to explore more with applescript when i get tired of designing and I need to just take time out for myself. I wonder if iCal will allow you to run applescripts?

You can be quite sure that the interoperability between those apps is great. AppleScript-ability is a must on those products. Lemme check...

[1 min passes...]

iChat doesn't seem to have a scripting dictionary, but Address Book's looks okay... the iCal beta also has AppleScript support.

But, of course, the integration of iChat with Mail, Address Book and iCal already _is_ great without scripting them.

Back