iCal and .Mac

Hotspur71

Registered
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a sub for .Mac (I'm a switcher, Mac Mini -- thought I'd try a cheap one out before taking the real plunge next year with the Intel versions) but there does seem to be a major flaw with it. The reason I'm posting here is to ask whether I've overlooked something really simple and/or obvious ...

Basically, I can sync my Safari bookmarks, Mail, address book and so forth, and access them from any browser or computer, but I can't do it with iCal -- yet the .Mac sync app says that it has synced iCal. So where did all the info go? All I want to do is to be able to consult my iCal when I'm at work (PCs unfortunately) and make sure I'm where I'm supposed to be. True, I can consult it with my disk-enabled iPod, but that's a bit annoying, especially when the battery's dead. Also, I've worked out that I can "publish" calendars on Groups, but that essentially makes them insecure and it's a bit of a pain in the neck -- and I'm not interested in Groups anyway.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? It's driving me nuts, something so simple. Or has Apple sort of messed this up?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I may be wrong, but I think you can only view your calendars on another computer if you 'Publish' them using iCal.

I publish one of my Calendars (select the cal. and then the 'publish' option). Once the Calendar is uploaded to your .Mac webspace, it will then give you the URL to access it from another place.

Unfortunately, you can't amend the calendar from another computer.

More info is here: http://www.mac.com/1/ical.html

Thanks very much for your reply. Thay pretty much confirmed my suspicions. It does seem strange to that .Mac subscribers need to go through all the rigmarole of knowing/bookmarking a separate URL to access their calendars. If you easily see your bookmarks, address books, mail, etc. by simply logging in to .Mac then why not one's own calendar? Why is this so difficult? This seems to be something of an oversight by Apple, I have to say.

No problems.

I agree, the iCal integration is the biggest thing lacking in .Mac for me. It would be great if my calendars and To-Dos were all available along with everything else on the start page, (Mail and Address Book, Movies etc).

Plus it would be great to be able to edit calendars online from another computer.

Hopefully, something will improve soon.

Back