ical Simply not working

jonparadise

Registered
After a recent upgrade to Panther, NONE of my alarms ever pop up, whether the program is running or not.

To add to the frustration, if I want to add a 'To-Do' I can add it by double clicking in the pane, but can't edit the details unless I restart the program.

I've already reinstalled the software, deleted all the plist files and trawled the net for advice. All I seem to have found is people with the same problems.

Does anyone know if a fix has appeared anywhere yet? After all, Panther has been running for 3 months, surely Apple could have sorted out something so central to the software by now?

I've been playing a ton with iCal lately. I noticed the same problem with my alarm. This is kind of tedious way of doing but I found it worked.

Go to each alarm and where it says "alarm" on the right hand side and click on the second row down. I have it opening a file from iTunes so it might be a little different for you. Then select "Other..." You then redo the rest of the alarm. You have to do that for every alarm. I would test it to see if it works . Set it a new event with an alarm ahead of two minutes from now. If the alarm goes off your problem is solved.

Also be sure that your computer does not go to sleep or logs out. If it is a laptop it might not work if it is closed. However it is okay if your display goes to sleep. Let me know if that works.

As for the To Do. Mine works great. I can edit every field. I am not sure why that doesn't work. I only have one guess and that is to verify and repair permissions. (I don't know if you know this so I'll explain it anyway.)

In the finder go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Click on Macintosh HD. Click on "Verify Disk Permissions", wait a long time, eat lunch, Click on "Repair Disk Permissions", wait for that, I suggest a restart after, and try her out again. A Repair Permissions works wonders every time your computer starts acting funky.

Also make sure you have the most up to date version of Panther and iCal.

Hope this helps. If you need any help here's my email and AIM/iChat account.

email: tony@stopdropandroll.com - check it probably twice a day.
chat: enethica - on it probably for an half hour a day usually between 5 and 8 PM. (central time)

Most likely when you upgraded to panther you also went to iCal 1.5.1. There is a well known bug with iCal 1.5.1 where alarms do not like to work. So far Apple's only solution on this is this article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25655 which is really no help at all. There is a large number of messages on Apple's iCal discussion boards, with dozens of tips, but none really help long term, they might work for a day or so.

Brian

Tried all that stuff with no success.

My god, that Apple 'help' is as useless as you can get. Saying 'try leaving your computer on' has got to be the most stupid piece of advice I have ever seen.

It apalls me that Apple has not fixed a fundemental flaw in a key part of it's software. I'm no programmer, but surely 3 months is long enough?

I was using Entourage before I upgraded to Panther, I wanted to switch to Apple totally, as I like Mail and Address book, and the syncing capabilities.

Plus, I need an alarm that will remind me of something when I'm otherwise engaged. Apples advice of switching the software on 1 hour before the alarm is due, is quite frankly bizarre!

Anyway, thanks for your help guys. At least I know there's not much I can do, and I can get on with Entourage until Apple pulls it's finger out.

Jon

HI, Jon

My iCal alarms were not working either, which was very frustrating, not to mention infuriating. To complete the sad picture, my Office Notifications (from Entourage) stopped working too, and I just couldn't figure out why.

Don't ask me how, but today I found out that the problem was related to my DATE SETTINGS, that were in a Brazilian format (day/month/year instead of month/day/year) and that was conflicting with both iCal and Entourage.

I had to revert my settings, but they are working fine now...

Go figure!
Joana

Joana said:
Don't ask me how, but today I found out that the problem was related to my DATE SETTINGS, that were in a Brazilian format (day/month/year instead of month/day/year) and that was conflicting with both iCal and Entourage.

Was this some sort of hiding date setting? Or the easy to find one in the system preferences under international?

Brian

On SYSTEM PREFERENCES, just go under DATE & TIME and click OPEN INTERNATIONAL. These are the settings I mentioned.

Bummer, that was set correctly for me, I was hoping it was something hidden :)

Oh well...

Brian

Back