IceKey Not NiceKey

andychrist

devil's plaything
Actually I really love my new Macally iceKey USB Slim Keyboard (Black), but it does have one little annoying foible. Out of 108 keys, there are four dedicated to Volume and Eject. Upon startup, these dedicated keys work fine, but some time later they will stop responding-- no action, no key-click feed-back. Haven't found anything to get them going again short of a reboot. Contacted Macally, they just told me to download and re-install exactly the same driver as came with it on CD (which I had already tried anyway-- several times, obviously to no avail.)

One perhaps pertinent point is that my Xounds haxie will often fail at the same time as those four keys. Unlike the ice Keys, however, I can get Xounds back by fiddling with its preference pane. (Disabling APE had no effect on my keyboard.)

Have dug up a bunch of blog posts referencing the same driver snafu, as well as glowing reviews from those who had no problem at all. Thing is, these latter testimonies were perhaps a bit dated, so I suspect they did not come from users running Tiger.

Sooo... has anyone here gotten an iceKey to run those four extra keys under 10.4.8? Any ideas on what could be causing the random failure, or settings I could change somewhere to remedy this vexing little annoyance?

ThanX ever so.

Think I found the solution:

In Library/Preferences there is file

com.apple.keyboardtype.plist

It read Crashed, so I deleted it and upon restart the Volume and Eject keys now seem work without fail.

Interestingly, the new .plist reads Date Modified as 01/31/07, rather than the date replaced (03/14/07). Think the earlier date was that of Security/Java update. Weird.

Back