iChat for Windows??

callieX

Registered
I wish Apple would let ichat work with Windows. I would like to use the video conferencing with family members and people at work who are died hard windows people. With the AIM client for windows you can do text and video/audio but no audio only.
The way I understand it. To do audio/vide on windows you need DSL or cable, txt works with dial up and audio only does not. To do audio on a Mac you can use a dial up. Most of my relatives only have dial up. It would be nice to audio to audio on mac to pc.

any thoughts on this?

calliex

There's Skype, for example, if you want audio-only. If you take that as an extension to iChat/AIM, that'd work.

My vote goes to Skype. It's a good program, works on many platforms, and I've had no problems with it.

And WinWord10: You mean Trillian's beta does audio-only with iChat users?

Skype is very good from computer to computer.
Skype has the possibility to call non-computer phones (but you have to pay, of course), this with a lower quality level (can be very bad quality if you call a cellular phone)
Skype lacks the centralized friend list, so that if you use it on several computers you have to create your friend list on all computers you use.

Chevy: The lack of a centralised friend list calls out for a skype phone book of some sort. If you really want to treat it as an alternative (or rather addition) to telephony, I mean. I actually think it's quite sad that Skype's success isn't more thorough already. I mean: Wherever there's broadband net access, there could be massive cost savings by adding Skype handles to business cards... ;)

Back