iChat in Tiger

pds said:
Thanks-
My friendly neighborhood Apple man wants $220 for the iSight, so it's off to the pc bargain basement to see if I can find a reasonably priced camera.

China, don't fail me now! :p

CDW had the iSights for $129.00

what about doing audio chats on skype instead ichat? the whole profile thing really spoiled it for me. but then i am also using icq... but apple doesn't seem to care about us european weirdos who are not into that whole aim thing....

AIM's perfectly compatible with ICQ by now. Just use ICQ numbers instead of AIM nicknames when adding a person. So you could, if you wanted, open an AIM account (free) and tell your ICQ-buddies to add your new AIM name instead of the ICQ-# - if you wanted to use iChat instead of ICQ. I have done that some time ago, because the ICQ application is a bit too much for me. Only 2 things I'm really missing - where ICQ just rocks: Invisibility features and offline-messaging (for those who don't know ICQ, that just means you can leave a message if someone's offline...).

I think AOL should add those features to the AIM protocol and further merge ICQ and AIM.

Yahoo! Has offline messages, and Invisibility, and cross-platform webcam, plus an account is free, webcams aren't software-blocked under a certain MHz or bandwidth threshold (like iChat).

It's lacking Audio, though, and it's a coding mess (on the Mac, not at all on the PC) which often crashes completely, but usually on predictable events like unexpected internet disconnections.

AFAIK neither Yahoo nor iVisit are compatible with iChat, AIM, ICQ etc., so they're niche solutions, basically. What I meant was that ICQ and AIM are interoperable, but that I don't understand why AOL, who owns both AIM and ICQ, doesn't give AIM the advanced features of ICQ, namely invisibility and offline messages.

Back