iChat question

Legolas

Registered
i switched from AOL Instant Messenger to iChat, and I can read peoples profiles, but how on earth do i change/make mine?

i tried that, and i edited the "notes" section, the only part that looked like it could be a profile. but in AIM, it still showed me having no profile... did i type it in the wrong place?

Well, I still don't know how to make my Profile but at least this thread helped me figure out how to change my 'name' in iChat. By default it was displaying my real full first and last name to any other AOLIM user. Not cool.

I changed my name in Address Book and it changed in iChat. Not the best solution but it worked.

Legolas: how are you viewing your own profile? I can't seem to figure that out and I'd like to know what (if anything) mine says.

I wasnt sure as to what it showed my profile as in iChat, so I logged into AIM under a different screen name and got info on myself, and it simply said "No profile provided". Most annoying, I dont want to go back to AIM, I've grown quite fond of iChat... but if I can't do simple things like modify my profile, I'll have to go back.

WHY do I HAVE to use the SAME image in iChat AND Address Book?? It's SO damn stupid!!
I don't want everyone on AIM to see my personal image of myself, and I don't want a penguin icon as image in my address book entry either!

Is there any way around this?

If this is really important, why not send apple a feature request to have iChat let you select a specific address book entry as "you" ?

There is a "You" card, but i think Apple needs to do a bit more work on the relationship between iChat and Address Book... and add a profile!

I've got a related but probably dumber question than the one you've been asking: I've signed on in iChat, but I want my wife to be able to sign in on my computer while I'm not around. But when iChat starts up, it starts up as me. Is there some way to make it switch to her?

Thanks!

well, iChat only allows one "you" per account. so, you will have to make two OS X accounts for two people to be able to use iChat. Or one of you can just use AIM... which I have switched back to, for its features.

That is NOT true. You can absolutley have multiple accounts in iChat. All you have to do is go to the iChat Preferences, log out of AIM, type in the new uers name and password, then log in again. Then whenver you want to switch accounts. Go back to the iChat Preferences, log out, and select the user from the drop down menu. Any accoutns you add to iChat are visible in this menu.

Thanks for the help. It's working fine, though on MY machine it shows my name even when my wife is logged in. On other people's computers, though, it shows her name. I don't know whether there's any way to change that. This is great, though.

Is there a way to have the buddy list 'sort' like the original AIM program? With the buddies in their groups, instead of the ability to group by first/last name? I have different groups of contacts and would like to see it as such, not one big list.

Back