ichat silence

ljwcic

Registered
My son-in-law and I have isight cameras; one in California and one in Texas. We both have broadband and are running 10.3.9 for me 10.4.3 for him. We get great video, but have no audio. We have checked the system preferences and in the ichat menu it shows that the camera and microphones are active. In fact, when I speak, the sound bar under the picture moves. The volume on my Mac is maxed and the mute is not activated.

What can we do to get the audio to work?

I haven't tried Video but um a friend who is on 10.3 and I'm on 10.4.3 and we haven't had any luck with audio, not being able to connect, so maybe compatibility problems there with the audio.

You can use Skype or GizmoProject for audio, both are pretty good apps for voice call, nice and clear

It's definitely NOT a version issue.

Do you have a Firewall or Router running on either machine?

Take a look at this site for help.

Thanks, Bob. We are using routers for cable broadband, but we disable the firewalls when we EMail eachother to start a chat. We have checked the proper microphone in system preferences and in ichat's menu.

The link you sent me says:

Tip: If you don't want to bother, a simple workaround is to temporarily turn off the firewall on each computer.

Both of us have turned off our firewall.

One thing I have done is to update my isight software to 1.03 instead of 1.02 and I found that my airport firmware also needed an update which I did.

We have not tested the connection since I did these things. Hope to do so tomorrow.

The link you sent me says:

Tip: If you don't want to bother, a simple workaround is to temporarily turn off the firewall on each computer.

That is fine for the built in Firewall, but not a Router. If using a router, you need to forward those ports to each machine, using the Routers setup page.

Back