iChat, therefore I'm Annoyed

unlearnthetruth

Recycle Me!
Among my many problems with iChat, most of which are just lack of certain features (buddy groups, etc) is the fact that my mouse-overs randomly don't work, making it difficult to check away messages, etc. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Anyone else have this problem?

My main beef with iChat is it's incompatability with the 'direct-connect' feature with Windows clients. I love iChat but I need to be able to send files and images to my Windows friends!! We need an update!

:eek:

Yeah, I have that bug too. Let's not forget it's missing the ability to save conversations in a format other than it's own weird proprietary one.

iChat needs a little more features and bug killing. It's mostly there. Not bad for 1.0.

Can someone explain to me what the advantages of using iChat are, instead of using AIM (or ICQ or etc)? Other than it's an Apple product?

i.e. Why would I want to use it?

Ian

Originally posted by adambyte
Yeah, I have that bug too. Let's not forget it's missing the ability to save conversations in a format other than it's own weird proprietary one.

iChat needs a little more features and bug killing. It's mostly there. Not bad for 1.0.

BINGO! This is a big beef with me. I like having my information accessible in as many standard formats as I can. I always use AIM for IM chatting because I can save the conversation as HTML. I can't view my iChat conversations in Mozilla or TextEdit or any other html/text editor like I can with my AIM conversations. This is the same reason I don't use Address Book for my contact list. TextEdit is great for that; it provides just enough text formatting to make a nice fit for that purpose.

Originally posted by ischorr
Can someone explain to me what the advantages of using iChat are, instead of using AIM (or ICQ or etc)? Other than it's an Apple product?

i.e. Why would I want to use it?

Ian

Well, first: It looks nice. The feature of showing connected users at the top of the list are great (although ICQ does that, too). The smoothness of the graphics is great, too.

Second: Rendezvous. Of course, this doesn't apply if you're alone in your home network, but it's great for offices and school networks.

Third: It's the most simple tool for exchanging files with another Mac OS X user in the same network. (Rendezvous again.)

Four: The simplicity of its interface.

Fifth: It has a handy menubar widget, accessible all the time, which indicates your status and who's online, without even opening the app. ( I love menu widgets )

I've been saying it since it came out, i opened it twice, second time it still annoyed me, iChat is iCrap, although i appreciate the thought and effort by Apple. I'll stick with AIM, been with me for more than half a decade, still on top to me.

Am I missing the point here? How can one compare iChat with AIM or ICQ?

Can one video conference using AIM or ICQ over one's internet connection?

I've just come from video-conferencing (from Bangkok) with a friend in London for 40 minutes... and it didn't cost a penny!

Yesterday I was video-conferencing with my father in Malta - for nearly an hour - again, no cost to either of us!

iChat is not perfect by any means - it seems to have problems getting through company servers in my experience, but in home use (i.e. on a one-to-one direct connection) despite a bit of delay from time to time, and a bit of fuzziness, it's proven to be a godsend!

Roll on the next update of iChat - I'm hoping for great things in the version that comes with Panther!

iChat is the mutt's nuts!

:D

iChat is nice but disconnected from 90% of Internet's reality, that is, PC users. Hence, a nice Apple product. Nice, okay, it is nice, and practical, I love the menu integration.

But Proteus is my only choice, unless I decide to dump all my PC friends and colleagues.

This may not be Apple's fault, though. I suppose MS is keeping APple from integrating MSN support in iChat, even though I'm less and less sure about this.

I don't know what they're doing. I'm surprised AOL let Apple connect iChat to AIM in the first place, since AOL is always AnalOL about connecting to anything except AOL and AIM. It would be nice to be able to talk to anybody, anytime, through iChat, though.

Back