iChat using 80% of CPU!!!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hmm... perhaps it's the actual iChat application that is causing the high processor usage. Do you have your buddy list showing, or is the iChat application active in the dock? What happens if you just use the little iChat menu thing to go online, and keep the actual iChat application closed?

- I disabled "show offline buddies" and it's still the same.
- I turn-on iChat, I don't use the iChat menu bar.
- I'll try with ONLY using the iChat menu bar

Zammy-Sam said:
I would follow the advice of a previous post to setup a new macosx-user and try on that account

I'd like to avoid having to create another user...
If no-one has ever had the same issue... then I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
I'll keep you informed.

Teebo

creating another user account on panther is very easy. You don't have to move your files. Simply test how ichatav behaves on that account and delete it then..

When I ONLY use the iChat menu bar, everything is normal. Once I start chatting, thus iChat.app is turned on, the activty viewer tells me it's using a sshhiitt loud of CPU %.

I'll create another user on my system when I have the time today.

Results with another User.... NO DIFFERENCE!
Once I start text chatting with someone, iChat CPU usage jumps to 80%!

No clue to what I can do now.

Although a somewhat unsatisfactory fix, since you are only text chatting, why not use another chat client? I use adium and am very happy with it (www.adiumx.com), and does msn as well as aim (and a bunch others now). Other i know use proteus (recently updated i believe) or Fire, though i haven't used them so can't comment.
I just checked and my copy of adium idles at around 2-5% cpu usage with a chat window open, 0% with just the contact list.

Alternatively, have you tried re-downloading iChat from the apple site in case your copy is corrupted somehow (obvious suggestion but can't see it in previous replies).

ora said:
Although a somewhat unsatisfactory fix, since you are only text chatting, why not use another chat client? I use adium and am very happy with it (www.adiumx.com), and does msn as well as aim (and a bunch others now). Other i know use proteus (recently updated i believe) or Fire, though i haven't used them so can't comment.
I just checked and my copy of adium idles at around 2-5% cpu usage with a chat window open, 0% with just the contact list.

Alternatively, have you tried re-downloading iChat from the apple site in case your copy is corrupted somehow (obvious suggestion but can't see it in previous replies).

I live in Paris and I have family in Boston... so we do use video chat after work. Plus I would like to find a solution then just giving up. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Yeah, I'd say the app is corrupted or something. Try reinstalling it, as was suggested. Also, try going to the Terminal and typing 'top' (no quotes). Does iChat still show up as using loads of CPU?

Hmm. Jason (the mod) was having this same issue a while back. It seemed to occur when buddies would go online/offline. Setting iChat to not show offline buddies resolved the issue for him. The only other thing I can suggest would be to delete iChat, then use an app like Pacifist to extract and install iChat from the Mac OS X Install CD.

Did you quit and re-launch iChat after setting it to not show offline buddies?

dlloyd said:
Yeah, I'd say the app is corrupted or something. Try reinstalling it, as was suggested. Also, try going to the Terminal and typing 'top' (no quotes). Does iChat still show up as using loads of CPU?

top function confirms activity viewer: 82%

cybergoober said:
Hmm. Jason (the mod) was having this same issue a while back. It seemed to occur when buddies would go online/offline. Setting iChat to not show offline buddies resolved the issue for him. The only other thing I can suggest would be to delete iChat, then use an app like Pacifist to extract and install iChat from the Mac OS X Install CD.

Did you quit and re-launch iChat after setting it to not show offline buddies?

Yes... I quit iChat each time I don't chat, leaving the iChat menu bar to "available", and that works.
I'm downloading iChat now, from Apple...
I will re-install and keep you guys posted.

And you don't *NEED* Pacifist to get the installer off the CDs. Anyone who knows their way around the terminal reasonably well can find where the disc images are stored :)

Back