iChat Voice

LauraJillCo

Registered
I am trying to use ichat for voice conferencing with someone using AOL on a PC but the "Voice Chat" icon remains greyed-out, not allowing me to use voice. I do not have a cam attached and am only using the internal mic.
I tested the internal mic and it is functional. It registers sound input but I have nothing out-going.
I am able to sucessfully chat both audio and video on my PC with the same person so I am content that it is not caused by the other party.
I'm using iChat AV 3.1 v417 and I recently upgraded to the latest OS thinking there was a compatibility fix in there somewhere. Unfortunately, it is the same.
I can't tell if it's a MAC-PC thing. I played with the voice recognition and it "heard" me perfectly. It was able to recognize which sentence I was reading from a list. Everything SEEMS to be okay and yet it's not.

Can I communicate with people who use AIM for Windows?

Yes, with iChat AV 2.1 or later you can chat via text, and you can use two-way video conferencing. Currently, audio conferencing works only with other iChat AV users.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25748#faq5
If I remember right, it's due to AOL using a similar proprietary audio codec (like Yahoo, who uses the TrueSpeech) that's not available for the Mac / PPC platform.

Back