iChat, why AIM?

Do you like the fact that it uses AOL messenging?

• Yeah

• Not really

• I won't use iChat

• Heck no

• Yeah

• Not really

• I won't use iChat

• Heck no

Results are only viewable after voting.

MacLegacy

Unemployed Student!
I don't understand why iChat is only compatible with AIM accounts. Is that the most popular account for mac users?

Personally, OK i'm using MSN Messenger a *lot* and it's *cough* microsoft.. but all my friends have it, so no choice here. I think iChat should have support for MSN, ICQ, AIM and others I may forget all at once. I'm not planning to use iChat if it uses AOL only..

Are there really a lot of people using AIM out there? (mac users)

The use of AOL may appeal to many persons, i'm not saying it sucks, i'm just making personal comments about it.

Prolly just cause i'm a teenager and want to get support for what *I* use, lol :p

Well anyway, I don't have OS X, so I shouldn't bother too much about it yet. I'm sure my father will be forced to buy a new comp when even 3rd-party apps he uses will be X only :D

Forgive my less than perfect use of the English language. I'm used to talking French everyday.

I think its politics more than anything else , MacLegacy.

I use Proteus or Fire, so that I can talk to people no matter what service they happen to be on. Not that I talk to anyone much these days.

Yeah, apps like Fire seem cool because of their different service support.

I'd think AOL and Apple made a deal so Apple makes iChat AIM based only.

Does anyone know if the Bubbles chat is the only view available or if there is "normal" view like in MSN, ICQ and such..

I wish iChat was more like fire. It's sweet. Ohh and i'm not looking forward to iChat. I think it looks retarted with the bubbles. Maybe it'll be cool though. We'll see.

Twister

You can turn off the bubbles and have it look like a standard message-by-message interface, but I like the bubbles. :) It makes it look like an actual conversation.

I use ICQ, AIM, and MSN because my friends are using them... I have 2xx contacts in ICQ and 5 contacts in AIM and 2 contacts in MSN... I don't care about MSN too much... Well, but ICQ... I know AOL bought ICQ already... Why shouldn't iChat support ICQ too?

I use AIM every day (actually, I use Trillian or Fire). It has the largest userbase by far so it's probably the best choice for Apple (unless you consider the benefits of pleasing msft to have value). My prefence is the yahoo service because I can see if the other person is typing. However, it's not as popular amoung the people I know.

I hope that they add more services in the future. Or, maybe they will start to converge on a single standard and every client will work with every service.

Bottom line: If you have to pick one, AIM is probably the best choice.

I know but AIM is only popular in the US... right? Because of the AOL Internet service... In Hong Kong, even many people don't know what is AIM! Sighs... But ICQ is a must for Hong Kong Internet users... so?

The sole point of several chat apps is boring. I don't like Micorosft very much, but I use MSN every day because all (almost all) my friends use PCs at work or at home, and they use MSN.

From there on, I don't understand Apple doesn't let iChat use the MSN buddy system. It's like promoting MSN to me.

Originally posted by ddma
I know but AIM is only popular in the US... right? Because of the AOL Internet service... In Hong Kong, even many people don't know what is AIM! Sighs... But ICQ is a must for Hong Kong Internet users... so?

And in Western Europe it's all about MSN Messenger..... (Me included)

senne.

senne is right on this point. French people know AIM just by name, almost. MSN rules all over theplace, because it's nice and functional and because all PCs have it installed by default with Windows XP, just like IE6.

Does iChat save its Buddy Lists on the AOL server?
I'm just asking because I don't want to reenter all my Buddys again when if (finally) move over to 10.2.
Currently Im using AIM.

I don't plan on using iChat. I'm using Adium to talk to buddies on AIM and will continue to do so even after iChat as long as there is no logging feature on it. I've also gotten spoiled with a one window IM interface with tabs...it would be hard to go back to multiple open IM windows.

I hate AOL, but do use AIM (Adium really) and have since about 1997. The best thing about it is that it was always one less thing you had to teach or explain to the typical AOL idiot, because they already have it!

Originally posted by simX
You can turn off the bubbles and have it look like a standard message-by-message interface, but I like the bubbles. :) It makes it look like an actual conversation.

LOL, do you actually see a bubble pop out of your friend's head when he talks to you ? :p

Originally posted by vanguard
[B My prefence is the yahoo service because I can see if the other person is typing. [/B]

Hmm, MSN does that too and I admit it's really useful

Well, in my area, I know nobody who uses AIM, it's probably not too popular in Canada either.. But whenever I can install OS X (jeez!) , I will use MSN Messenger 3.0 , it looks awesome anyway

Originally posted by simX

Any screenshots of this around?

Back