ichat won't connect to msn

jole

Registered
a while back, i put ichat in the trash, having grown comfortable with trillian on pc, and thus adium on the mac when i switched to mac. recently i learned ichat supports msn accounts, so i tried to copy ichat from my wife's powerbook into my applications folder. it just had the generic "application" icon, a blank page with a pencil and ruler on it, not the ichat icon. when i tried to launch it, it would instantly crash.

i assumed that the copy from my wife's computer was incomplete so i used pacifist to re-install ichat from the tiger install discs that came with my macbook pro 17".

it seems to have corrected the icon issues, and i was able to get into ichat and set up an account, but it won't connect. it gives the following error message :

"could not connect to jabber : could not connect to hotmail.com"

i'm not sure what else to do... i messed with the original versioni of the app, but how do i go about replacing it properly ?

+

hello,

i reinstalled the bundled portion of the tiger install discs, and ichat still gives the same error message. "could not connect to jabber / could not connect to hotmail.com"

the links you both shared offer no insight into the problem i am experiencing, but thanks anyway.

+

...i know how to set up a jabber account with ichat—i have already done this. the links posted to date deal ONLY with this sort of subject matter.

the problem i am experiencing (i presume) is due to the fact that i have previously deleted the ichat application, and after an attempted re-install, it is not working properly.

everything else seems to work properly, including loading and running the app, changing preferences, etc.

perhaps i should delete the preferences files and launch again ?

+

Back