iChatAV -- Cool, but useless

mightyjlr

Registered
iChatAV looks like a great piece of software. It is however, useless. I suspect that there are many people here in the same situation as me. I have a Mac and iChatAV. The problem is that I don't know a single other person that has a Mac, and there are 150 people on my buddy list. Unless Apple releases iChatAV for windows, I will never get to use the cool features of this program. At least they added spell check, and a text box that automatically expands. Anyone else going to have the same problem?

Maybe you didn't see the Keynote, but iChat AV uses established standards for both the audio and video transfers. So, theoretically, AOL, MSN, or any other 3rd party could implement the ability to communicate with iChat AV in to their application.

I've used video conferencing on Windows, and man - I can tell you - it's cool, but it's more trouble than what it's worth. I show this implementation to 3 family members in different parts of the country and tell them how we can talk for free, or even video conference for free and they can see my new daughter anytime they wish, and they will be lining up to buy a new Mac for that purpose alone.

Useless? Hardly.

It's not compatible with my camera (a Logitech Pro 3000), which does work with other programs on my mac.

I also have near 200 people on my buddy list, one of which is another mac user. I can voice-chat with him, but video won't work for either of us.

Has anyone had any success getting the video function to work? If you have, what camera are you using (obviously isight would work but I mean 3rd party cameras).

Video seems to work for me, at least I can see my pic in the preferences. I have a FirewireDirect Firewire webcam.

Anyone want to test, my .mac.com name is maktek.

I don't have a .mac account, but my AIM name is ** Edited ** .

lol just don't want to be recieving voice chats all night.
No problem if you already did... it was kinda fun talking to other macosx.com users actually =)

I've been using ISPQ for video conferencing, and that works very well and is cross platform.

Was just talking to lonny on iChat. Audio is great, but he doesn't have a compatible camera. I believe it only works with Firewire cameras.

Worked really well... considering it's a beta, one can only hope it will get even better!

This has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have had with Apple since I made the great switch to OS X. I have been waiting for this program for 2 years and suddenly they say that the only way for it to work is with a FIREWIRE CAMERA?!?!?!

I have USB iKritter camera that works great with iVISIT. WHY can't Apple do the same? I can't stand iVisit because its bulky and messy, this is what I need!!!!

Apple, please let us use our USB cameras!!!! How hard can it be??? ARGGHGHGHHH

p.s. I will NEVER buy your new $149 iSight camera, so just please let this great piece of software become popular quickly with the 300,000 usb cameras that are out there!!!!

Although, I have a TiBook with a Mic included and turned on the phone button doesn't seem to work with any other friends that I tried to "Audio Chat" with them (up to 5 people and they were all using iChat AV too)...

Also, noticed lots of redrawing problems while chatting with them either one on one or many at once and most specifically while typing messages... However, when I pressed the enter key the redrawing problems were dissapearing...

Beta! I know! :p :D ;)

:)

Completely useless as a video chat application unless you happen to be talking to the 3 to 5% of us who actually use the mac platform...and even less of us who use os 10.2.XX.

I was excited about the potential to finally use my USB webcam again...but no. I was also excited about the cross compatibility with AIM on the PC side...but hopes were dashed there as well. Okay, i'll break out my video camera and put the tripod up in the computer room to test this...but with who? The person who would love to video chat with the new baby is a PC user, and will always be a PC user.

I applaud the effort, and yes, it's a beta...but come on - why the hype over a piece of software that's a clunky version of something that no less than 4 apps are already doing..and have been doing for quite some time.

iChatAV's got groups, if no one noticed. Go to iChat's Prefs, it's in the Generel tab. It uses your Address Book groups. Quite cool.

There's a perfect answer, get friends with macs or be a real friend and buy them a Mac!

Man, I can't believe people are complaining that Apple released a cool technology that is Apple-based. Heck yes it is Apple based and eventually it will migrate to the PC, either through the efforts of Apple, Microsoft or AOL. Releasing innovations for your own product line so that people will buy your products is something every major company does. Ford does it, GM does it, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Microsoft, you name it. Like all of the rest of these companies, Apple is in the business of making a buck.

Can you think of any reason Apple might release a technology first on a Mac, then make it available to everyone else?

So when Apple comes up with great new ideas, they are almost always Apple first. Why? To drive sales of Apple products, not to drive sales of Windows.

It's the same reason there is no OS X for Windows. Lots of people might buy it, but if you happen to make lots of money selling hardware, why give it up when you don't have to?

you also need to buy them a $100 firewire camera..... or if you are nice, give them the $149 camera from apple!

sukram

When I open iChatAV it seems to search for my camera since my USB camera driver (ioxpert) is activated and the camera is turned on. i am assuming it notices that A camera is available.....

it just seems crazy that apple doesn't let USB camera owners use this software. it would promote the hell out of this operating system.....

sukram

Sukram, I have to agree with you, and I would bet that Apple relents in the future, but supporting USB cameras does not drive sales of the Apple iSight. Also, USB 1.0 is an inferior choice for several reasons.
1. it's slow.
2. it doesn't help drive sales of FireWire.

USB 2 might be a great choice but it has a big problem. It's a competing technology with Firewire 800 and Apple is looking out for itself once again.

I am not really defending Apple, but that seems to be the most logical explanation.

USB is to slow for good video. That's probably one reason they don't support it. Every new Mac comes with a Firewire port, so there's no excuse for people buying new Macs and cameras, unless they buy some cheap $40.00 USB one.

Back