iCloud Server rejecting my emails

I have been having trouble getting the Apple Mail app on the iMac to send. Everything had been working perfectly for months and then a couple of months ago for no reason the server started sometimes rejecting my outgoing emails. This was intermittent: most of the time it worked but then for a day or so it wouldn't. Meanwhile, I was having no server problems sending mail from my iPad to the same server with the same Apple ID. It acted as if there were a problem at the server end.

I have two Apple IDs, both of which behaved as above. Now today one of the accounts can't sent from the iPad either. The iPad error message is "Unable to Send Email ...The sender address [Apple ID] was rejected by the server." I have made no changes to any settings on the iPad in months,.

I have been trying to remove & replace the server data on the iMac without success. This problem is hard to describe because there are three nested panes all headed "Accounts". The third pane supposedly permits adding and deleting servers. Deleting appears to work, but then hours or days later the deleted servers reappear. Some servers that, as far as I can tell, are correctly set up, are labeled "Offline". See attached files. The servers in caps in the first screen grab are not present in the SMTP Server List shown in the second screen grab. I suspect my configuration files have been corrupted, but that doesn't explain why the problem has spread to the iPad.

has spread to the iPad. Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 10.13.21 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 10.16.35 PM.jpg

Very similar problem: since a few hours ago, the SMTP iCloud server is rejecting my "sender" address on both my mac and iphone. Web interface works fine. Other email aliases work fine, but not the one that I habitually use (for several years). Logged in and out of iCloud, re-starts, .. does not seem to have an effect. Some sort of data propagation error/delay in Apple's network. Receiving mail addressed to the alias works fine.

Very similar problem: since a few hours ago, the SMTP iCloud server is rejecting my "sender" address on both my mac and iphone. Web interface works fine. Other email aliases work fine, but not the one that I habitually use (for several years). Logged in and out of iCloud, re-starts, .. does not seem to have an effect. Some sort of data propagation error/delay in Apple's network. Receiving mail addressed to the alias works fine.
It sounds like the exact same problem. It has been intermittent and so I think I've solved it but then it recurs. This time around it's lasting several days so that's why I'm seeking help.

Well, started working again after waiting a few hours. Or, maybe as hinted by Cheryl, it was fiddling with the iCloud web interface: at first no luck, then I changed preferences back and forth (email alias selection) via the web interface, logged out. A test an hour later with the mac email client and "bingo". This stuff has happened before: another heisenbug. iPhone email works too.

It sounds like the exact same problem. It has been intermittent and so I think I've solved it but then it recurs. This time around it's lasting several days so that's why I'm seeking help.
As Cheryl suggested I logged onto both of my Apple IDs in turn and confirmed that mail could be sent from both. Returned to Mail and there was no improvement. After some more fooling around with account settings, I achieved the configuration in the attached screen grab. And after I made the screen grab, Mail froze. No response to any click, including the Quit option in the Dock icon. It had to be Force Quit, something that has happened before. On relaunch Mail was still unresponsive, but after a second Force Quit and relaunch, all four accounts are working. The one account on the iPad that could not send is also now sending.

I was feeling pretty good about my trouble-shooting abilities and then you reported that your system was working too beginning at about the same time that mine started working. That sure looks like someone did something at the server end that solved our problems. But if it was a server problem all along, then why were only two of us having a problem? You'd think this thread would have gone viral. Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.31.47 PM.jpg

I did check this site and it has been useful in the past. This time, it showed no problem. *If* the problem is a propagation of configuration data to the various SMTP servers around the world (and some sort of glitch that corrupts configuration) for some subset of users, there is a good chance that "an outage" is not going to show up on Apple's dashboard. This *is* a good site to check first to eliminate useless toil if the problem has already be identified by Apple.