Icon to apear instead of CD

GDF

Registered
I would like to burn a CD that when inserted into PC or Mac will apear as a different icon than the CD disc one. I am using Toast 6 Titanium. Any ideas?

This is from Macosxhints.com;

If you burn a data CD from the Finder in MacOS X, you can easily give the CD a custom icon by copying the icon and pasting it into the CD's info window. However, if you want to burn a data CD from Toast 5, giving your CD a custom icon that appears in OS X requires a little trick.
To find out how, read the full hint.
Before OS X, you could drag a folder with a custom icon into an empty data CD window in Toast and that folder's custom icon would become the CD's custom icon. This doesn't work anymore with OS X. What you need to do now is to save your custom icon as a .icns file (using a tool like Iconographer or Icon Composer) and drag it into your Toast window, placing it at the root level of your new data CD. Then rename the file as

.VolumeIcon.icns
Once you burn the CD and pop it into your CD-ROM drive, it should appear in the Finder with a custom icon. :)
Background: Pre-OS X versions of MacOS store a custom icon for a CD (or any other type of volume) the same way they store the cutom icon for a folder--in an invisible file called Icon. OS X still recognises and displays the Icon file for folders, but not for volumes. In OS X, the custom icon for a volume is stored in an invisible file called .VolumeIcon.icns at the root level of the volume. The OS X Finder knows this and will create this file when you paste onto the info window for a volume and creates a .VolumeIcon.icns file. Toast doesn't do this automatically, hence the need for this hint.

Using Toast 7, select the Mac and PC option on the left, when you click 'more' it gives you the option of dragging or pasting an icon over the disc icon.

There are two sets of checkboxes for your files, (over on the right side of the toast window), you can select whic files are visible on a mac or a pc, if you save your icon as an .ico file, (using Graphic Converter), place this in the PC side.

Thank you it seamed to solve the problem by itself just before trying your solution. Which sounded very logical and I have no doubt would have solved the issue. Thaks

Back