ICQ 3.0 for OSX

Originally posted by simX
Here's a link directly to the download:

ftp://ftp.icq.com/pub/ICQ_Mac/icq_3.0b_ppc.sit

It wasn't up for a while -- it seems somehow MacCentral got wind of the release a few hours before it was actually released.

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded it, and the only difference I can see is that it stores your contacts on the ICQ server now like the PC version. I don't see any new features besides that, like better firewall support etc.

Yeah, I don't see much difference except a little in the interface. ICQ 2.8b for OS X is basically exactly the same except for AppleScript support and the interface. It already had the floater window and SMS disabling, as well.

I don't get AOL's reasoning for branding all Mac versions of ICQ 2.0 and up as betas. Even this version is called 3.0b. Very annoying -- especially when they're not really doing any work on it.

I recently downloaded ICQ 2.8b for OS X.
Is there a difference between 2.8b and 3.0b?
Just wanna know whether its worth downloading it.
For everybody still using 2.6b: get 2.8b! :D Its definately faster than 2.6b, it stores the Buddy List online and its now possible to assign names for sms numbers. Also, the send sms window will now close after the sms is sent. In 2.6b this didn't work so well.
:)

Originally posted by Dradts
I recently downloaded ICQ 2.8b for OS X.
Is there a difference between 2.8b and 3.0b?
Just wanna know whether its worth downloading it.
For everybody still using 2.6b: get 2.8b! :D Its definately faster than 2.6b, it stores the Buddy List online and its now possible to assign names for sms numbers. Also, the send sms window will now close after the sms is sent. In 2.6b this didn't work so well.
:)

Well, I haven't tried 2.8b because I didn't know there was one, but I can say by going from 2.6b to 3.0b, that it too stores contacts on the server and seems pretty fast, faster than the OS9 client for most things.

If it's any good to you, the only basic thing I noticed between the 2.6b and 3.0b versions was the contacts being stored on the server. There are a few small interface changes, but that's about it from what I can tell.

Sorry about that -- I actually WAS using ICQ 2.8b for OS X before. I forgot about that -- I changed the version in my previous post.

As to your question, upgrading from 2.8b to 3.0b made no significant difference. The main change is that the interface is a little more pleasing and refined, and it also fixes that annoying bug where if you had your background color changed, the highlighted text might not appear highlighted. Also included is AppleScript support. Beyond that, it's not much of an update except that you can use this same application in native OS 9 now. I would think this should just be a 2.8.1b, not a 3.0b.

I just upgraded to icq 3.0b and noticed the changes mentioned aboved. I also noticed in this version u can now view others status (na,away,etc). And i also noticed a speed increase.

I haven't tried the latest version of icq, but I gave up on their version because it's butt ugly and they just have to use new window for every god damn msg...

for a while, I used micq on terminal, but now I'm using proteus...

I know there's another one... ixq or something. I think I'd give it a try when I have more time.

Originally posted by simX
I don't get AOL's reasoning for branding all Mac versions of ICQ 2.0 and up as betas. Even this version is called 3.0b. Very annoying -- especially when they're not really doing any work on it.
It is the same for the Win version.
Many companies never let their software get out of beta stage so that they don't have to do support on it.

has anyone noticed that Command - H brings up History (like the OS 9 version). this is OS X, command-h is used to hide the app damitl the history shortcut could be cmd-shift-h for all i care. what the hell happened to standards? photoshop 7 also uses command-h for hide/show selection. i know it has used that shortuct for years, but it is a ROYAL PAIN when you are used to using cmd-h to hide apps. thats my only gripe, i like the GUI changes in 3.0b, and uploading contacts to the server is a hell of a nice addition - finally.

Originally posted by meancode
what the hell happened to standards? photoshop 7 also uses command-h for hide/show selection. i know it has used that shortuct for years, but it is a ROYAL PAIN when you are used to using cmd-h to hide apps.
Imagine you want to hide a selection in Photoshop, you command-h, and bang, Photoshop is gone!

That is not what a long time Photoshop user wants to see. It even looks as if Photoshop just crashed.
But they should make it just like in BBEdit: It also uses Cmd-H the old way, but there is an option to set it to the systemstandard hide.

Tigger, i agree. it is nice that you get a dialog box the first time you open up BBEdit. i just wish there was an easy way to express this feature request to adobe (as i am not a beta tester for photoshop 7).

ICQ should also have the option, i have emailed them about it asking them.

Back