ICQ?

anerki

Registered
Is there any good ICQ client for Mac OS X? I used Fire but I can 't figure it out. The layout is hidious, and it's really, really, REALLY confusing. Well, at least, that's what I think :D

I know Gerry will carbonize GICQ. I use GICQ myself on my iMac (yes, the stubborn one I can't get Mac OS X installed on) but can I wait that long?

:(

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
There is a JAVA version of ICQ... Personaly I have not tried it but it might be what you are looking for.

I tried it. I got it to compile & run on the Solaris machines at school. It's pretty flaky. But at least it's an ICQ client.

I couldn't get it to compile on my OS X box. A runtime error of sorts I can't remember right now occured. Anyone else have any luck? I'd really like to get it to work.

Krishen (really looking forward to a carbonized version of Gerry's ICQ)

I tried it out. I had to edit the installscript first. But when i finally tried to run it it got the following error.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError: Mirabilis/ICQ/NetAware/CNetAwareApp (Local variable name has bad constant pool index)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:478)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:101)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:248)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$1(URLClassLoader.java:216)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:191)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:299)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:275)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:256)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:315)

Originally posted by The DJ
I tried it out. I had to edit the installscript first. But when i finally tried to run it it got the following error. [snip]

Here's what I got:

Code:
% ./ICQ
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Mirabilis/ICQ/NetAware/CNetAwareApp

Anyway, it looks like a similar error. Anyone else have any luck compiling (& running) the Java version of ICQ?

Krishen

Gerry's ICQ's homepage moved to http://homepage.mac.com/gerrysicq/ and it currently Unvailible due to scheduled maintenance? Does this mean there will be a new version of GICQ for Mac OS X soon or what? Anywayz, the homepage of GICQ moved to Mac.com so updates will hopefully be brought out more regular :)

Originally posted by anerki
Gerry's ICQ's homepage moved to http://homepage.mac.com/gerrysicq/ and it currently Unvailible due to scheduled maintenance? Does this mean there will be a new version of GICQ for Mac OS X soon or what?

The GICQ homepage has been on mac.com for a couple of months now. It is still available trough http://www.gerryicq.com though. The site was down because Apple is working on the servers. Alle mac.com sites were down for some period. It has nothing to do with GICQ. There all up again now.

And no this does not mean there will be a new version now. But hopefully it will be released soon.

DJ

Back