IDE to SATA adapter for external drive

mrcarson2

Registered
Hello all, I have a lacie d2 firewire drive (120GB) that I want to upgrade to a 1TB HD, I know that the internal connection on the drive is IDE, however I have not seen drives of 1TB that have IDE connections on them. I have seen these IDE to SATA adapters and I am wondering if it will work for me if I get an internal SATA drive to replace my 120GB, assuming I have enough space to insert the adapter. Thanks.

I'd buy a cheap new enclosure instead. Probably not much more than an adapter and then you have 2 hard drives! I got one for about 40 dollars I guess.

Hello all, I have a lacie d2 firewire drive (120GB) that I want to upgrade to a 1TB HD, I know that the internal connection on the drive is IDE, however I have not seen drives of 1TB that have IDE connections on them. I have seen these IDE to SATA adapters and I am wondering if it will work for me if I get an internal SATA drive to replace my 120GB, assuming I have enough space to insert the adapter. Thanks.

This is an interesting coincidence, as I was looking for a similar post to which I'd responded recently.

A Cables To Go search came up with this http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=KkyOVV4B8eI I don't think the adaptor will fit inside the enclosure, so you'd need to use the LaCie 'bare' (as I do with a Hitachi drive, and did with a Maxtor - until I cooked it! :eek:)
OR
I started making polystyrene cases to hold the bare drives, but didn't finish the job. Perhaps that would work for you, as you can make the enclosure a size suitable to hold both drive and adaptor.

They adaptors are cheap, my two cost me about US$33 in total.

Back