Idea for a better 2 button + scroll Mac mouse

Fusengammu

Registered
Last week I finally layed my hockey puck mouse to rest in favor of a Logitech wheel mouse because I downloaded Quake III and hated not having at least 2 buttons and a wheel. As much as I was loathe to get such an unattractive looking mouse (well, not that bad, but ugly compared to one of those optical Apple mice), I HATE 1 button mice. I've been hooked on scrolling ever since my last job, where I was working on PCs. That is idea MS really hit the mark on.

I love being able to scroll in long web pages with the wheel, but I still really want an Apple branded mouse that is not ugly, but the wheel is kind of ugly, because it pops out like some kind of pimple. So I was in the shower today, and thought, "what if Apple replaced the wheel part with a thin strip of touch pad?" Then they could make a mouse that looks like a traditional mouse, but actually is a scrolling mouse.

Any thoughts on this? This way Apple can make a mouse with a smooth, 1 piece profile like the current mouse, but incorporate scrolling.

I personally wouldn't buy it. I like the tactile reponse from the scroll wheel. I also dislike trackpads in general, so feel free to ignore this whole post if you want. ;)

I couldn't care less about the fact that my mouse has only one button. I use a Logitech Trackman at work (two buttons and a scroll wheel kind of trackball) but have no problems making the transition to one button.

I want the Apple Pro mouse to have a scroll wheel, but still be only one button. It's okay, I know no one else likes the idea...

The down side of a touchpad is that without it protruding from the surface of the mouse, the it couldn't also function as button as scrollwheels do. A two-button mouse with a scrollwheel that is also a third button would be very nice for X windowing systems. I traded in my blueberry keyboard and hockey puck for the Pro Keyboard and Mouse (well, not quite--I still have to get a power button for my rev. D iMac; the on-computer one doesn't do anything!) and love them, but I've also been looking for a two-button/scrollwheel+button mouse for XDarwin. I think that maybe a Sun Microsystems or SGI unit would be best, but I haven't gotten around to looking at what they've got to offer.

Back