Idea for a new Apple Digital Device

jedakroub

Registered
Here is an idea I had for a new Apple Digital Device....

The iLense (ot something like that). Think about it. Now that iPhoto is available, the "Chain of Pain" is almost painless, however the real pain now lies in choosing a camera from the never ending sea of digital cameras. What do all the specs mean? What is the difference between a SmartCard and a CompactFlash card? What are all of these confusing settings?

Now take Apple and their legendary ease-of-use. Think iPod here. Here is what we get:

1. 1-2GB (or more!) Hard-drive based digital camera
2. Firewire port for transferring/charging the camera (uses the same charger as the iPod)
3. 4 (or higher) Megapixel camera - 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200
4. 1.8" swivel LCD display
5. Scroll wheel to navigate menus (just like the iPod, but smaller)
6. Styling would be similar to the iBook/iMac. White front with a brushed metal back.
7. Attached analog zoom lense with digital zoom as well.
8. Once touch autofocus
9. Simple in-camera effects like black/white, sepia, etc.
10. More ideas?

Let's face it, most photography is horrid. The iLense would be designed to enable anyone to shoot a good picture, transfer it to their Mac, crop it, and share it however they choose.

What do you think?

I pretty much share David Fannings oppinion.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/opinion/opinion_jan02/fanning_jan02.cfm

The most often-mentioned possibility is an Apple digital camera, and iPics. Frankly, I don't think a digital camera is a very smart move. The market is competitive and the current product range offers every conceivable option already. Maybe I'm lacking imagination, but I don't see how Apple could improve on the current crop. There are significant benefits gained from using an iPod because MP3 players are a relatively new technology. The idea of an iCam hasn't as much potential because digital cameras have been around for a while - manufacturers are already stuffing the new models with more features than the average punter will use. I suppose Apple could add FireWire charging and downloading, but it wouldn't represent anything really groundbreaking.

Back