IdentD

cellfish

Depressed as hell
Anybody know how to activate IdentD in Mac OS X? I thought of editing the auth line at the bottom of inetd.conf to say ident instead of auth and changing the library to tcpd instead of identd but it won't let me, as if I wasn't root. Even when I run su and put in the root password, su just says sorry and doesn't let me go through.

Anyways, is there any way of activating identd in Mac OS X.2.3? I'd like to know, lack of identd blacklists me from a lot of irc servers on Efnet.

Andre

'sudo pico inetd.conf'
uncomment the last like that had identd
save the file and exit

'sudo kill -HUP pid'
for pid you need to put the process id of inetd
you can find it by doing something like:
'ps aux | grep -v grep | grep inetd'

Thanks for your help guys but strangely enough, whether I have the line at:
auth stream tcp wait root /usr/libexec/tcpd identd -w -t120 - like it is now

or

auth stream tcp wait root /usr/libexec/identd identd -w -t120 - like it was before

In neither case can I get BitchX to see that IdentD IS installed. I thought it might be a firewall thing, but the port 113 is open on the Virtual Server, and I resetted the router and everything. I still don't get what it is that's causing the problem.

Andre

It won't work through the router... I have a netgear rt314 and it just won't work.

To see if you have it running try 'telnet localhost 113'

If you are running jag, you might be running xinetd rather than just inetd. If so you need to create a config file in /etc/xinetd.d/ to get it running.

Originally posted by LordOphidian
If you are running jag, you might be running xinetd rather than just inetd. If so you need to create a config file in /etc/xinetd.d/ to get it running.

Well I do have xinetd.d as a folder, I'm just wondering what the config file should contain, what the name of the config file should be and where exactly it should be placed.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Andre

Back