iDisk, the horror and the pain...

Originally posted by paulboy
I access idisk from my WinXp's IE. And it is fast. I open it as a folder (WebDav) from IE. Thats kinda screwed up. Maybe its just an Apple thing. Strange.
I just tried the same thing using XP Pro. It's embarassingly fast compared to OS X. Apple definitely has to work on speeding up iDisk access under OS X. It's unbearably slow to access an iDisk using the Finder.

I think that is has to do with the Finder calculating the sizes of the files. For other OSes, it doesn't do that and is much faster. If you look at the amount of traffic it generates, there certainly is a lot more going on than just showing the files and folder structures.

Originally posted by testuser
Regardless, they still need to address this long-standing complaint. iDisk has been nearly unusable since its inception.
Yeah, the only improvement since OS 9.x is that accessing your iDisk doesn't lock your entire machine up in OS X.

this seems to me that it is simply about the the way aqua/ the finder lists files and the protocol that is being used (AFP).

does anyone know if there is a way to mount an iDisK via WebDAV in the MacOSX finder? Perhaps we can blame iDisk's speed problem on AFP.

When you mount the iDisk using the built-in Finder command under the Go menu it mounts it as a WebDAV volume. This is abominably slow. If you instead use the Connect To Server... command under the Go menu (afp://username@idisk.mac.com) you can mount it using AFP and it tends to be a bit quicker, but it's still damn slow.

The Terminal tip makes it a lot quicker. I find that browsing my iDisk (mounted as an AFP volume) in Snax with Generic Icons On tends to be pretty fast.

Originally posted by SCrossman

[localhost:/volumes/mactech/Software] mactech% cd Mac OS X Software
cd: Too many arguments.

until I put quotes around "Mac OS X Software" I could not access it.
Thought it might help someone else who runs into this problem.

As long as you don't use quotes or backslash \ (cd Mac\ OS\ X\ Software) it won't work and that's just how it is. Backslash tells it to read the next character (with is a blank space) and not as a parameter for the command.

But here is a tip for you. Try to type out "cd Mac" when you are in that folder, then press tab. tcsh will then automatically type out the whole path for you. Neat, eh?

Back