iDVD/DVD Studio Pro Compatible External Drive

Nope, I believe no external burners work with iDVD, unless they're built in the Mac itself, then it sees some burners as internal drives..

RPS said:
Nope, I believe no external burners work with iDVD, unless they're built in the Mac itself, then it sees some burners as internal drives..

Actually, while this is true about iDVD (Apple has, until recently, offered iDVD as a free download, knowing that only people who paid for a Superdrive could use it) it might not be the case for DVD Studio Pro, for which they have always charged plenty.

On the DVD Studio Pro specs page (http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/specs.html), it says:

Output Formats
DVD-R using Apple DVD-R drive or Pioneer DVR-S201 recorder
DLT tape (required for DVD-9 projects)
DDP
CMF on DVD-R (Cutting Master Format)
Disk Image

Presumably, you could create a "Disk Image", then burn that to a DVD-R using Toast, plus a Toast-compatible drive.

brianleahy said:
Actually, while this is true about iDVD (Apple has, until recently, offered iDVD as a free download,

I don't believe this is correct... iDVD was always a "free $20 DVD" by mail order because of the sheer size of the templates. NO one wants to download all of that.

As for the internal external thing. I had a type of solution to putting a drive external that my be of use to some of you.

http://www.bbgroup.com/show/7639.html

shows my G4 in my audio rack... of course when you do that you render the DVD burner almost useless... OK, it IS useless cuz you can't put a disk in without it falling out.

So what I did is I voided the warrenty and pulled the superdrive out of the machine and put it in an external firewire enclosure, and although EVERYTHING worked fine iDVD wouldn't boot cuz it say no internal drive.

Sooo

I went to Fry's bought a long ribbon cable, hacked a hole in the top of the firewire enclosure and ran the ribbon cable from the mother board, thru the back panel of the mac out into the whole in the top of my firewire enclosure. Now the Mac THINKs there is a superdrive internal because it is plugged directly into the mother board.

yea, it's not pretty but it works.

THIS photo above was taken before I did that whole 'hack-um-up' job.

fen

That sounds like a really interesting solution but I'm not sure how well that would work on my Powerbook :)

I would be interested in seeing some more photos of how you did, just for fun.

Back