IE 6 for Jaguar?

maxebb

Registered
Anyone know when IE 6 will be ready for OSX.2? Its the last thing I'm waiting for before I make the switch.

Or, is IE 5 in Jaguar better than it was previously?

And please don't ask me to use Omni Web or Netscrap :)

I can’t tell you if and when a new version of IE will be available but i can tell you that scrolling webpages in IE are much faster in Jagwire than in 10.1.5 - but window resizing still is sluggish (but that’s an problem of IE because the other browser i’ve tested resize smoothly)

But the improvements you’ll see depends on Quartz Extreme - without Quartz Extreme you will see improvements in scrolling and window resizing in general - but with a graphiccard that is able to take advantage of Quartz Extreme you will even see a bigger improvement.
Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required
and 32 MB are recommened

You can find more information about quartz extreme (including a graph showing how much faster window resize performance is with and without QE) at Apple Jaguar - Quartz Extreme

But the problem with IE is not window resizing but page rendering - and here IE has a big disadvantage that only a major rewrite of the engine could solve - IE is poorly multithreaded - that means that if you have 2 webpages open and one page is about to render the whole browser is locked-up sometimes - you can’t use the second window oben and often you see the spinning beachball of death (which is not a beachball but an harddisk plate but thats another story) - other browsers like Mozilla or Omniweb are heavily multithreaded and it’s no problem to load a few pages simultaniously without lockups

Chimera 0.4 just rules, already. When you'll switch, Chimera 1.0 will be out and will be the best browser ever.

IE on OS X has been, and likely will be in the foreseeable future, the most craptacular browser out there.

Use Mozilla or Omniweb.. both are vastly superior to IE.. and you'll never go back after you start using the privacy features (like blocking popups, third party images [banners], etc)

A part from being fast, Chiemra is light and clean.
It's a pleasure to use, but why don't you try for yourselves?

Well, as a Web designer I'm more worried about what the majority is seeing. I'm wondering about the speed of Flash in IE, as before it's performance was much slower than 9 and I had to recalibrate my Flash pieces. I believe this is mostly due to IE though, that's why I was asking WHEN it was to be released... when Bill sells enough XP's I guess?

I've heard the buzz on Chiemra.. thanks.

Originally posted by maxebb
Well, as a Web designer I'm more worried about what the majority is seeing.
Yes, I agree with you. As a developer myself, I don't really care what people think about Chimera and OmniWeb. IE and Netscape are still the top browsers in the PC world and I will still use IE until it's death. I guess all these Mac users who use Chimera/OmniWeb aren't professional web users because they fully support JavaScript and CSS. IE's rendering is much more relaxed compared to the others. Anyways, I don't want to have another browser rant here, just stating that the average Mac internet user will use whatever browser he wants, but the developers still need to stay with the standards.

Yet another web developer here but I have a different point of view on the browser subject.

Yes, most surfers out there are training their eyes on one of IE or Netscape. But one of the reasons for that is that the majority of web developers out there are still creating crappy web sites that rely upon the non-standard behaviors of these 2 browsers. Anyone who wants to try something different gets stuck when they hit a web site coded for the idiosyncracies of either browser.

Since both "modern" versions of IE and Netscape are much more standards compliant than they used to be, web developers can now (if they wanted to) create sites that will work well in either browser (and with less work) as well as any other standards-compliant browser by simply taking a little time to learn the standards and to stop coding pages that only work in the proprietary browsers.

The web app that I work on is targetted to "modern" IE and Netscape versions (that is IE5.5+ and Netscape 6.x+), but I develop it using Mozilla as my test browser so that I don't fall into the trap of using proprietary functions in the pages.

As such, the web app should just work in as many compliant browsers as possible and allow surfers to throw off the yokes of the Big2 browsers.

The references at www.w3schools.com are also very helpful in determining what's standards-compliant and not.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar,
bear

Originally posted by bootedbear
The web app that I work on is targetted to "modern" IE and Netscape versions (that is IE5.5+ and Netscape 6.x+), but I develop it using Mozilla as my test browser so that I don't fall into the trap of using proprietary functions in the pages.
Exactly!

If one designs for the browser that follows the standard the closest, then the chances of your pages showing properly under other browsers increase dramatically. It's the two-bit "professional" hacks that design for the browsers that follow the standard the least, using proprietary features, that cause do much grief for the users that prefer to have a choice between which browser they use.

Then again, those are usually the same hacks that use crap like Frontpage, MS Word and such ilk to design a site.

I guess all these Mac users who use Chimera/OmniWeb aren't professional web users because they fully support JavaScript and CSS. IE's rendering is much more relaxed compared to the others.

Please. I'm a professional web designer, and while I can acknowledge that I *have* to use IE to check my design/code because it's what the vast majority use, I still *prefer* to use Chimera when surfing. Chimera supports Javascript & CSS fully, and the only time it renders pages incorrectly is when some web designer makes use of an IE only tag that isn't part of the HTML/Javascript/CSS standards. The Gecko rendering engine still does an excellent job of handling these IE specific hacks. I've yet to browse a page in Chimera that doesn't look right compared to IE. I can't say the same for iCab, OmniWeb, or even Opera.

it's all about Chimera and Internet Explorer on this machine. Chimera, being alpha software, has issues but is a vastly better browser than OmniWeb (which still doesn't have CSS support for text rollovers, drop-down menus and whatnot).

IE is still my default browser, though, as it handles Flash and some other items better than Chimera does.

That reminds me, it's time that I downloaded a new trunk...

i also vouch for chimera .4 vs. all other browsers.

its the only browser thats even close to my windows machine in all-around speed.

the only time i use IE is when something doesnt work right in chimera. With version .4, the only thing that stopped working was when i was customizing a pc online [dont laugh] and the drop down boxes didnt update my selection. Thats the ONLY bug ive found personally, and I can't reproduce it every time.

Chimera is what mozilla should be. Standards compliant but FAST as well.

Originally posted by maxebb
Anyone know when IE 6 will be ready for OSX.2? Its the last thing I'm waiting for before I make the switch.

Or, is IE 5 in Jaguar better than it was previously?

And please don't ask me to use Omni Web or Netscrap :)

ok, so back on topic, anyone hearing ANYTHING at all regarding IE6 + Jag?

If what Kevin Browne says is true, IE6 will bring the Mac version of IE to FULL PARITY with its Windows counterpart! In other words, you'll see a page exactly how the Windows folks do. I think this will be great for you Web devs out there.

Back