IE blasted my Hard Drive

AlanCE

Registered
I keep IE's cache on a drive which is not my OS X boot drive and for good reason. For the second time in about a year, IE has flaked out and caused me to have to force a restart on my machine. Last time I was able to use Disk First Aid and Norton Utils 6 to recover the drive and its two partitions. This time however, OS X sees the hardware but wants to initialize it. Disk First Aid and Norton 6 have no clue the drive is even in the machine. (Apple's Drive Setup doesn't see it either)

I've tried booting into single user mode and typing fsck, but that seems to only check out the boot drive. Is there a unix-ish command i can use in single user mode which might take a shot at recovering the lost drive/partitions? I'd rather not lose all of that DV which I've been slowly burning to CD but didn't get it finished...

thanks for any help, i'm about to drive to redmond and beat some people to a bloody pulp.

perhaps it is time to step up to a real repair program. Diskwarrior is the only one i know that will potentially recognise and repair an unrecognised disk. but the real problem is probably with your system disk. even so, diskwarrior is the only one i have used that has fixed this kind of problem.

I'd always use Diskwarrior. It finds everything, even misjumpered drives.

It seems to be the only disk utility which searches the disc by physical means, not by software drivers (which is redicilous anyway for a disk utility...) it checks if there is something recieving power, not if there is something returning a request via a driver API.

I once had a very big problem with a corrupted 80 gig external firewire drive, which happened to be my file server drive, and diskwarrios was the only app to successfully mount and repair the drive.

glad to hear it worked Alan:)

sometimes it just makes more sense to stop beating your head against a wall trying to figure something out and just let a well designed repair program do it for you. I just don't understand those people who aren't willing to do it because it cost more money. I own 3 and a half repair programs and consider all but the half (norton) to be worth every penny i paid for them.

i also completely concur with Ulrik. Diskwarrior also saved the day for me and my 80 gb drive as well.

Back