If 10.1 performance sucks for you...

ok... now, answer me this... I did a fresh install of 10.1... now, I don't have 9.2... and somebody just stated that I should start with 9.1, then 9.2, then 10.1... argh!!

could anybody please explain this to this n00b? :)

-part of me does not miss the Classic install whatsoever...

On my iMac, I've got 2 partitions, one for X and one for 9.2.1. If you want them both on one partition, you're gonna have to start by installing 9.1, then do the 9.2.1 upgrade, then install OS X 10.0 on top of 9.2.1, then update to 10.1.
Whew!

not true! I kid you not... I did a clean install of 10.1... no classic whatsoever. then, I used the iBook install CD - which is 9.1, and booted with it in the CD and pressing C. It installed 9.1, and then I installed 9.2.1. well... guess what, 10.1 is still there - and still faster than the 10.0.4 upgrade - and classic/9.2 works!

and only one partition...

I swear... I did NOT have any 9.x on my drive before I started... I could only boot into 10.1. now, I got both... :)

Originally posted by genghiscohen
On my iMac, I've got 2 partitions, one for X and one for 9.2.1. If you want them both on one partition, you're gonna have to start by installing 9.1, then do the 9.2.1 upgrade, then install OS X 10.0 on top of 9.2.1, then update to 10.1.
Whew!

I have also installed OS 9 after the fact, but for a different reason. I had restarted yesterday only to find a flashing question mark with a clicking hard drive sound!!! I inserted 10.0 to run disk first aid, but it found nothing wrong. Then I booted off a OS 9 cd and ran Norton. It found numerous errors and fixed them. It would still not restart. So I held down option on restart and the open firmware boot saw OS 9, but not X. I selected it and it would go to a happy face and then back to a question mark.
My next step was to reinstall OS 9.1, and then update to 9.21. After restarting, I was able to select OS X in the startup items control panel. It has been running fine since.

Also, OS X still saw my previous system folder as the active classic. I unblessed the old system folder by hiding the system file in a folder and restarted. Then OS X saw the "new" OS 9 and added the items that it needs to add for classic compatability.

So, I really don't know how classic got corrupted still. I could have been a hard drive issue, but I'm not sure about that since the OS X disk first aid didn't catch anything.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

OK. This thread has got me interested. I have a combo drive ibook and I have also felt that while faster than 10.04, it is still slow at resizing windows and opening apps.

Currently, I have everything on one partition. This is the way it came from Apple. If I understand this correctly, to do a clean install I would,

1. Back up my important apps and preferences on both 9.2.1 and OS X.
2. Start up the OS X.1 updater CD and click on the part that asks me if I want to erase and reformat.
3. Reinstall OS X on its own partition. (Do I first need to install 10.0.4?)
4. Reinstall OS 9 on its own partition.(9.1 first then 9.2 updater) (I have 20 gigs, how much for OS 9?)
5. Reinstall my apps and preferences.

Is this right?

I am assuming that when I run OS X and it is on its own partition that it will let me work in Classic without going to the OS 9 partition. (This may sound stupid but I have never used partitions on my macs before.)

People that have stayed with one partition ---- have you also noted an increase that is worthy of this work? Backing up, restoring always makes me nervous.

About the 9.2 upgrade needing 9.1 first, I thought Apple said that they gave you the 10.1 UPGRADE CD and the 9.2 FULL CD? Am I wrong about this?

Also, I would like to know people's thoughts on partitioning now that 10.1 is out. I used to have 9 and all my apps on a 7 GB partitoin, and OS X on a 3 GB partition. But I had to send my iBook into Apple to be repaired (they had to replace the hard drive.) This is the second time in half a year they've had to do this! Don't worry, I'm not abandoning Apple. :) In trying to fix it, I had to initialize numerous times and have backed everything up.

Would people still recommend 2 partitions or do people think one is better for 10.1? There are a couple of advantages to two partitions, like being able to hold down option on restart so you can switch back and forth from 9 to X, without completely starting up, and being able to "Erase disk and format as" in the X installer to do a clean install without erasing the whole disk (it only erases 1 partition.) I have had bad experiences with 1 partition in the past: X usually messes up 9 (not just Classic). Is it better now, or is it still more convinient to keep it on 2?

Everyone here has seen "major" improvements by doing a cleanup?? I have noticed some speed increase on my TiBook, but it wasn't the stuff that Apple was flaunting.... I will try this as soon as I back up, DONT FORGET TO BACKUP!!!!

I ended up having to do a total reformat and install after 3 failed upgrade attempts. It just would not boot into X. But once I backed up my files and reinstalled, I was in Aqua Heaven!

Back