If Apple said hello to Nintendo

Inline_guy

Dockboy
I just beat Metriod Prime for my Nintendo Gamecube. Great game. I highly recommend it. Anyways, after finishing this game I got a thought that I have had several times before.

Wouldn't it be smart for Apple to pair with Nintendo. Hear me out. The Gamecube is already made with a modified G3 IBM processor (called gekko). It also has a graphic chip from ATI (originally designed by ART X a break off group from SGI. ART X was later bought by ATI. This ART X/ATI processor is called flipper).

At least the systems are some what alike... More so than a Playstaion or an XBox. If Nintendo and Apple teamed up on the next system and used a similar architecture (as Nintendo has already stated they wanted to do, so that you can play all your Gamecube games on the next system) so that you could run games on Nintendo's next system and Apple computers. Apple would loss the stigma of not having games and Nintendo's software could reach an even larger audience. Nintendo already takes a loss on the hardware they make. They make all their money on software. So it would be great for Nintendo. Apple would have more games (and some of the best games produced exclusive from Nintendo). It would be very helpful to both parties. And really not to much of a risk for either.

Pipe dream yes. But I still think it would be great.

Downside. There are many reasons it will not happen. First and for most Nintendo would never allow it. Nintendo is crazy about Piracy. And they would never let a computer play their games for the fear of having games easily reproduced. Much of their decision to go with a proprietary DVD format was to stop the possibility of piracy. Which has done well.

Matthew

My plan would be more than just simple emulation. I have an SNES emulator on my mac right now.

In my plan it would be more than emulation. I would like to see the next Nintendo system be built with the mac in mind. I think that it would be anything but pointless if there were some kind of arrangement between Apple and Nintendo.

I do not think people would go buy an Apple system for Nintendo games (especially since you could get the Nintendo system for like $200). But it would go a long way in helping to make the Apple more youth centered. I think it would be a great marketing ploy for Apple to say "We have games.... We have lots of exclusive games!"

That was my point. I think that would be very helpful.

Matthew

I would like someone to hack a GameCube to run Mac OS X or linux that can run Mac-on-linux (http://www.maconlinux.org/). Hackers have already done this with the xbox, we just need a group to do it with the game cube. Does the GameCube have a hard drive built in or an option for one? Cause if it did I would consider buying one and trying to mod it myself :D

Originally posted by Inline_guy
Downside. There are many reasons it will not happen. First and for most Nintendo would never allow it. Nintendo is crazy about Piracy. And they would never let a computer play their games for the fear of having games easily reproduced. Much of their decision to go with a proprietary DVD format was to stop the possibility of piracy. Which has done well.

Is it true that GameCube mini-DVDs spin backwards to be read? My friend who has a GC told me that, but if all GC games are just mini-DVDs that wouldn't make any sense. oh well, there goes my friend trying to sound like he knows everything as usual :).

It would be really nice if Apple and nintendo actually made a system together, sortof like a tivo, dvd player, internet appliance, game system thingy, but will it ever happen? most likly not.

Of course even if Apple and nintendo did not team up there is this, and boy would it be nice: http://www.lowendmac.com/rumormill/02/1129.html

But honestly, i would love to see a apple handheld with a gaming model... full color screen, PPC processor at about 333mhz, mac OS X.2 with ink, iPod hard disk,

apple did make a video game system. it was called pippin! what is pippin you say? exactly why apple should not make another! :p

yes i know about pippin and it was a failure for the same reasons and a few more than the dreamcast.
1. too advanced for time
2. too expensive
3. not enough games, if apple and nintendo got together that would solve it.

The Gamecube discs do spin backward, and they also read from the opposite direction. They are not standard mini DVD's. The Gamecube does not have a hard drive. Nintendo is notoriously crazed by pirating. And that is why it takes so very long, and so much money to pirate a Gamcube game.

But it would be nice if Nintendo and Apple played nice. I think it would be such a big win for each of them.

Matthew

The reasons the Dreamcast failed.

1.) After many people were burned with the 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn consumer confidence in Sega hardware was at an all time low.
2.) And this is the biggest reason. Piracy. It destroyed any profit for the Dreamcast. Since the hardware was sold at a small loss, the games were the only way to make money. The Dreamcast would read CD-R's... That means they were so VERY easy to pirate. That killed the Dreamcast.

The Pippin is another beast.

Matthew

Sorry, but Microsoft already said hello to Nintendo first...
They bought RARE!

This just CANT be good! :(

Rare asked Nintendo to buy them first. Nintendo said no. Then Nintendo offered their share of the company to Microsoft. Really not a big deal since Rare takes far to long to make a game.

The game industry is very hard to profit at. It a company (like Rare) spends 4 - 5 making a game, no matter how great it is or how well it sells, they will never see a positive return on it.

That is why Nintendo said "see yea" to Rare. Rare wanted to be bought by Nintendo. And Nintendo, after just buying Silicon Knights and the rest of Retro Studios, said that it was not an investment they were willing to make.

It really is not that big of a deal.

Matthew

Back