If Longhorn runs on Power PC

Microsoft continues to want to position itself in the server market. As Mac guys/gals we're always trying to look at the desktop market while the rest of the IT world is more business like. Imagine your company running Xserve boxes? That's what's happening with Apple right now. They are the strongest growth in that sector and for the most part its killing Sun (have you seen their stock lately). Apple is the designer product along with its free cousin linux (Apache works there too) and for nothing all of these companies are rolling out some great intranets, web servers, etc.

If I was Microsoft, I'd consider something along those lines since no one in the world wants to use the buggy IIS! It sucks. Their mail server costs thousands and you have to by those crappy CALs for every stinking email user on Outlook! It's a scam I tell you and Apple is killing them with technology and cost. It's very appealing to those not MS zealots that are UNIX driven, want to integrate with their Mainframe that also uses PPC chips and other upsides! Apple's done something that's growing and if they stay committed to that market, we'll see some neat things from Apple in the future.

I'm hopefully looking for a buyout of Sun in the next 2-3 years.

Your entire post just left me wondering where the link to 'Longhorn on PPC' is. If MS puts Longhorn on PPC, it can be run on Xserves. Okay. But that doesn't at all solve MS' problem you describe: That people don't want to use their software...? But yes, I can agree that Xserves were a good idea, generally. ;-)

fryke said:
okay, so you're not a VPC user, then? I have to test websites against Windows versions of IE, Mozilla and Opera. Sure, I can use them in VPC now, but I'd love to have them open in a rootless environment, i.e. they'd behave like Classic applications. Or maybe like X11 applications. Would be nice. I'm okay with those who just don't want to use ANY MS applications on their Macs, but sadly, I can't really do that myself, as although many browsers have come a long way supporting the standards, there are still things that can go wrong. There are still things that just are displayed differently on different platforms.
You would be wrong about that. I am a VPC user and have been so since 1998. What I am against is trying to integrate the Windows environment with the Mac environment. VPC does a great job of emulating Intel-compatible hardware. The last two major releases include specific accommodations for Windows, but the product remains an uncompromised virtual host of just about all Intel-compatible operating systems. This rootless mode idea would take the product into a different direction--and ultimately a less useful one.

Back