If you had to get a PC...

If you had to get a Windows PC and use windows, what would you do?

• Dude, I'm getting a Dell!

• Mooo! Go Gateway!

• I'd get a Compaq, they're small right?

• IBM, at least they made chips for Apple

• Sony, they use firewire, don't have floppy drives, aren't beige, and have interesting designs! If yo

• I'd get that e-Machines iMac ripoff

• Well, looks like it's suicide again for me...

Results are only viewable after voting.
The last Intel version of Rhapsody was Rhapsody Developer Release 2 (Rhapsody 5.1), The last version of Rhapsody Apple released was Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody 5.6). It only runs apps made for Rhapsody (or ported from OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP). You can learn more about it in these threads:

Rhapsody

and

Rhapsody on Virtual PC

The interface is a nice cross between Mac OS 8 and OPENSTEP (best parts of both). Actually I plan on moving to a WallStreet G3 PowerBook and run Mac OS X Server 1.2 on as an upgrade. So once I've completed that move, the ThinkPad gets moved back down to OPENSTEP 4.2 (which has almost three times as many apps as the Intel version of Rhapsody).

I wouldn't kill myself about hardware; it's the software that I would commit suicide about. I'd love Linux on my PC, but I will kill myself if I had Windows on it. :D

I didn't realize Rhapsody was so beautiful in terms of UI!

I think I like the traditional Mac interface better than Aqua... Something about it just screams sophisticated!

Granted I love OS X, but seeing a screenshot of Rhapsody kinda makes me long for the traditional UI... Oh well.

-B

I wouldn't kill myself about hardware; it's the software that I would commit suicide about. I'd love Linux on my PC, but I will kill myself if I had Windows on it.

Lets assume that it is running Windows

I would get one of those SONY VAIO multimedia models, they are as close to a mac, expet they run winblows :p The new ones have built in MD, FW and more. THe cool thing is you can load another PEeCee OS (BSD or linux based) and thenconnect it with your existing mac :p

those alienware pc's are pretty good... but i would have to take the Vaio... I saw one at Circuit City yesterday and practically drooled... then i realized it wasn't a mac and said "WTF?!"

:p lol

I would probably build the PC myself - that's some fun we Mac users miss out on (not that I miss it enough to buy something other than a Mac). I would use a calmpc case - may be ugly, but absolutely zero fans is cool. And anyway, with a case that ugly, I wouldn't feel bad about painting it myself.

If we absolutely must buy an OEM machine, I would buy one without an OS, or with a free one. I don't want to pay $150 or whatever it is for something I won't use. I think IBM sells Linux PCs, but I'm not really sure. Dell seems to have given up on that, don't know about anyone else.

originally by phatsharpie
Something about it just screams sophisticated!

I'm not sure if it's possible to scream sophistication. At most you could state it firmly, finally, and with a very slightly raised voice.

I'll take suiside for $400, Alex :D

I *never* wan't to run a x86 PC with Windows again! Never! I'm not paying to support the Monopoly! If I had to get a PC, you can bet it'd run a Unix-based OS, probably an Open Source one, and it would be used or would come without an OS.

If I need to run Windows, Win95 works pretty well in Virtual PC. And it keeps Windows what it should be -- a killable process :p

suicide!

but..... if i HAD to run windows.....

SUICIDE

but..... if i was undead....

Sony - at least i don't mind supporting them as a company. They make THE BEST in optical products (video and such)

Originally posted by nkuvu
Every day I use OS X at home, then get to go in to work and use WinNT 4.0. So I chose the suicide option...

I'd run a flavor of Unix, but I'd much rather commit hari kari with a wet noodle than use Windows on my home system ever again.

Hey, me too (stuck using WinNT 4.0 at work, that is). But for home use, if I absolutely had to, I might be able to endure running Win 2k or (shudder) XP.
BTW, the correct Westernized spelling is "hara kiri," which translates literally as "belly cut."
:D

Does NT 4 have the same look as 95, 98, ME, 2000 or is it the one based on the Windows 3 look?

or am i confusing that with Windows 3.11 For Workgroups and Windows NT 3?

Generally WinNT4 is installed with the Win95 look, though it is possible to install it with the NT3.5 look (not very popular). However when you install IE4.01 is it possible to go for the Active Folder option, which is a right pain.

Roger.

Windows NT 3.1 and 3.51 looked like Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11 for Work Groups. Windows NT 4.0 looks like Windows 95, and Windows ME looks like Windows 2000 (2000 was released before Me).

NT 4.0 isn't that bad after applying Yellow Box, but it is still at the end of a long list of other operating systems that I would rather use.

Back