ilife 6 released today

It looks pretty good. I was surprised that iWeb went into iLife and not iWork. I understand why (it is better suited to iLife) but iWork really needs a shot in the arm at the moment.

I am facinated to know how whether iWeb sites are laid out in tables or CSS.

does anyone know?

in short, it's AJAX on the server side (javascript and CSS)

BTW it is now in most Apple stores

Has anyone picked this up and have any thoughts?

I grabbed a copy and have used it briefly - my first thoughts are that most of the enhancements are nice...The new editing features (full screen and compare especially) are useful, and I probably will use the greeting card feature and build a new book or two. I'd probably even use Photocast if it didn't force me to buy the horror that is .Mac

However, I'm not really seeing much in the way of performance gains - Steve made it sound like we'd never see it pause again. Waiting for images to load as I flip through an album is one of my major irritations with iPhoto, especially when compared to things like Google Picasa (which is blazing fast) or even LightRoom beta. It's just not Snappy(tm)!

I purchased it a couple days ago and an VERY impressed with it.

All the apps have been given a facelift (they all have the same slick iTunes 6-like interface), adn iMove/iDVD have a much better layout.

iPhoto has some brilliant improvements -- it really is "as smooth as butter" (© Steve Jobs). I also love the calendar and greeting cards, although the greeting card templates aren't the greatest, and can't be customised much. I don't tend to do any editing in iPhoto (as I use Photoshop), but I bought a copy for my mother who does and she *loves* the new full-screen editing mode. It feels like a pro application in full screen mode.

I also dont tend to use iMove and iDVD in favour of pro choices, but I had a have a look at it anyway. I was B-L-O-W-N A-W-A-Y by the new title sequence templates in iMovie, and by the new themes in iDVD. seriously-amazing.

Apple have proven, once again, that they are the undesputed king of to-notch, 1st class templates.

Garageband was the main reason why I bought iLife. The interface is much better organised, and the podcasting thing is nice (though I wouldnt use it myself). What made the app a "must have" for me was the fact that you can now import video into the Garageband timeline and compose a music score in time with it. that rocks. I am so happy with that :) :D I've spent a truck load of money on all 4 of the jam packs, so this will put them to good use (orchestra jam pack is the best btw. the string instruments are amazing, but you have to take advantage of the expression and foot controls to make them sound really realistic).

I haven't looked at iWeb, not something I would use. If it has templates half as good as those found in Pages or iDVD, then it should be excellent. mdnky showed me the code it spits out, and it's pretty nasty, but aside from that it looks good.

I personally think the iLife package is the best value software package on the planet by far. Surely apple isnt making much (if any) profit on it.

Back