iLife on a clean install

Scottfab

Helpless Mac Newbie
Simple question. I think I may do a clean install of tiger after all once .1 comes out. But then I'll lose iLife, wont I? Any way to fix that?

And unrelated: why does everybody keep saying to clone your hd on a backup hd. Not everybody has one just lying around.

Well, backing up is always a good idea. Macs aren't PCs of course, so when you unplug your keyboard from your Mac, it won't delete all your data (true story, happened to me on a PC), but it's still best to back up.

You will lose iLife. As long as it is your copy, legally, just copy it onto a CD, and copy it back when Tiger is installed. Should be ok.

Scottfab said:
1. But then I'll lose iLife, wont I? Any way to fix that?

2.why does everybody keep saying to clone your hd on a backup hd. Not everybody has one just lying around.
1.You can reinstall iLife from your Panther (I presume) DVDs/CDs. You might have to use Pacifist.

2. Specifically, it is an excellent idea to have a bootable firewire external--not a USB external. Cloning to an external firewire, among other things, provides (a) the easiest/fastest way of recovering from an OS disaster and (b) a very natural backup medium.

yes, its a legal copy. I got it through the uptodate program.

whats pacifist?

if its on the Panther CD, shouldnt it be on the Tiger CD? and where is it on the Panther CD, I dont remember seeing it. also, would it install all in a batch, or just bits and pieces, because I dont really care much about the other ones. Really, the only iLife I think I use is iTunes. Which is on my iPod CD, isnt it?

having a backup bootable firewire drive sounds expensive and like overkill. especially when you're just the average end user like me. I'll just keep my documents on my usb thumbdrive and make periodic cds of my downloads folder. much cheaper.

1. whats pacifist?

2. if its on the Panther CD, shouldnt it be on the Tiger CD? and where is it on the Panther CD, I dont remember seeing it. also, would it install all in a batch, or just bits and pieces, because I dont really care much about the other ones. Really, the only iLife I think I use is iTunes. Which is on my iPod CD, isnt it?

3. having a backup bootable firewire drive sounds expensive and like overkill. especially when you're just the average end user like me. I'll just keep my documents on my usb thumbdrive and make periodic cds of my downloads folder. much cheaper.
1. Pacifist

2. It would be on the Panther disks that came with your Mac, but it is not on the Tiger disk. However, iTunes is on the Tiger disk. Yes, iTunes is on your iPod CD. it also is available for download at Apple.com. If your intsall DVDs/CDs didn't allow you to install exactly what you wanted, say iTunes, then you could do so with Pacifist.

3. Sure, why not.

Back