Illustrator EPS corruption - any ideas?

MHPb

Registered
lo ppl

A couple of work colleagues are having problems with Illustrator 10 and corrupt files. Both are working on quicksilver Dual G4s and running 10.3.5. The most obvious symptom is that the file icon changes to this:

epscorruption.gif

When the affected file is opened, lines or strange shapes are cut out or added to parts of the illustration, with the affected part changing each time the file is opened.

For reasons of client confidentiality I cannot post a grab of the opened file and as we are stumped as to the cause, cannot recreate this problem with non-sensitive artwork.

Has anyone has encountered this type of problem before, and what, if anything can be done. Any help is much appreciated.

A>

There are a few remedies to your situation, some are the usual "repair permissions" and "repair disk" options.

Save the file out to version 8 (skip 9 altogether) and see if the problem persists. What sort of filters or transparencies are being used in the document? These special features might be causing some problems.

Any weird or corrupted fonts in the docs?

Can your colleagues upgrade to CS?

I would recommend always saving a BUJIC copy of every mechanical file (Back Up Just In Case) so if one gets corrupted you can just open the back up file with no worries.

Another option is to find the Illustrator preference file and delete it (make a copy of it just in case) and reopen Illustrator to see if the error persists. Illustrator is notorious with its preference files getting corrupted; even on OS X. I remember it being a bit worse on OS 9.

Lastly, they could be having a problem with 10.3.5 and Illustrator 10—Is 10 the last version that worked in Classic?

Let us know the answers to these questions and we might just nail down the problem. :)

permissions were repaired as a matter of routine as soon as the problem was spotted and this didn't make much difference. Artwork is usually downsaved to 8 and filters or transparencies are not used. There is no text in the document and therefore no risk of corrupted fonts. The problem only seems to affect a few files and illustrator has no problems with anything else which kinda rules out the preferences idea. We do have CS but the people in question don't like it! I think 10 was the last version to work in OS9.

Thank you for your suggestions however I think a solution was found when it was discovered that the only affected files had elements from one particular supplied disc. These were resupplied by the client and there have been no more problems since.

tyvm

A>

Back