I'm 17, what are my rights

Yes, there are mothers who tend to go goofy. Mothers who belong locked up. Mothers who have a hormone problem(menopause). Things are said in a heated argument. But there are always two sides to every story.

Each mother has their reasons for the threats she gives. And each 17 year old son has his reasons for thinking his mother is insane and just don't get it.

Since we don't know the entire story or events, we can not give good solid advice on the car issue. But the good solid advice I can give (and I am sure most of you will agree)... Be nice to your mother. Make her happy... you will soon be 18 and I suggest you don't make a move out until you are done with High School. Then check out your options for lodging, food, and a paycheck to pay for it all. Remember if you move out, you may not have furniture or a bed to sleep on. And the most important thing is to find an adult that you can trust to talk to. You need a third person to listen to the entire story (all the facts). Most of the time you will get help to reason out the problem to solve it. :)

Androo, could you be a little more specific?

Kane, whatever happens, you should start looking for a good college you can go away to. If you can move out, go to school, and find a job to pay for it all, then you'll be much better off than staying at home and putting up with your mom's crap. Trust me, if the only reasons she thinks you should leave the house are for school and work, that's beyond "looking out for your best interests." If she got mad at your girlfriend for absolutely no reason, or because she's Jewish, or something like that, then that's way beyond LOFYBI.

If, once you've turned 18, you feel like you can find a way to take care of yourself and live on your own (or with your GF, perhaps), then you should stand up to your mother and tell her how sick you are of all her crap. I'm sure she doesn't just go crazy over your car; I bet she's overbearing or vicious about a great deal of issues. If you stand up to her, you'll either get through to her or, more likely, find your ass on the street. You'll definitely need some sort of help at that point.

Cheryl said:
Yes, there are mothers who tend to go goofy.
17 year old son has his reasons for thinking his mother is insane

Since we don't know the entire story or events,
You need a third person to listen to the entire story (all the facts). Most of the time you will get help to reason out the problem to solve it. :)

And, importantly, the third party should have some independent access to or knowledge of your mother's point of view, that is if you want more than consolation that you are right and she is actually nuts.

There are two sides to every story and the hell of it is the sum of the parts of right usually totals more than 100% (both sides are more than half-right)

If the title is solely in your name, she can't do anything on her own (i.e. sell it) regardless of you being a minor. It would take a legal order by a judge for that to happen. That's a pretty solid statement from what I've heard, but it would help to know exactly what state you're in. Then we could find out exactly what your options are.

BTW, she can have it towed from her property and impounded. How you got your name soley on the title is another discussion altogether (other words, some states may allow it but we have no clue where you are).

Ok, simple solution here...put someone else's name as "and" on the title. NOT "or" and NOT "and/or". In other words, if your girlfriends name was "Tracy Smith", then have the title read your name AND Tracy Smith. What this does is require both listed parties to agree to any change of ownership. You said you gf's mother was willing to help, see if she would allow you to put her on the title until you're 18. That would be even better, assuming your GF is also under 18.

mdnky said:
If the title is solely in your name, she can't do anything on her own (i.e. sell it) regardless of you being a minor. It would take a legal order by a judge for that to happen. That's a pretty solid statement from what I've heard, but it would help to know exactly what state you're in. Then we could find out exactly what your options are.

BTW, she can have it towed from her property and impounded. How you got your name soley on the title is another discussion altogether (other words, some states may allow it but we have no clue where you are).

Ok, simple solution here...put someone else's name as "and" on the title. NOT "or" and NOT "and/or". In other words, if your girlfriends name was "Tracy Smith", then have the title read your name AND Tracy Smith. What this does is require both listed parties to agree to any change of ownership. You said you gf's mother was willing to help, see if she would allow you to put her on the title until you're 18. That would be even better, assuming your GF is also under 18.

In my initial post i said i lived in MA. USA

Androo said:
IMO, i think that that is completely wrong.

We all have our opinions. I speak because I have been there. There wasn't a car involved, but just the same kind of trouble.

kanecorp said:
In my initial post i said i lived in MA. USA

K, sorry...missed that.

Add the second person on the title, it's your safest bet for now, that is if you really think she's gonna do something. You could also park the car at a friends place and tell her you sold it, which may work.

Legal action would be feutile anyways, as it would take a couple months to even be set into motion and you said you only have a few months left until you're 18 anyway.

Regardless of the outcome with the car, you have some serious problems which need to be worked out with you mother. It sounds like you've reached the point of needing to seek professional help. Just remember that your family are your true friends, even if they drive you nuts sometimes (or all the time). You need to fix that issue, be it your fault or not. If you don;t, you'll be sorry many moons from now.

Good luck.

Back