I'm finally getting a mac again!

The_Assassin

Registered
Yep.... I've had enough with the windoze horror. It has been about 3 years, last mac we had was a Performa 630 33mhz. My dad was stupid enough to buy a PC after that. The poor old mac got toasted, we got struck by lightning. It hasn't been windoze all the time, I installed linux at some point. I felt somewhat more comfortable, but heck, a pc is a pc, nothing can change that. ;)

So now I'm finally getting a mac again! It was actually meant to be an xmas present from my parents, I ofcourse have to pay along cuz a whole computer's a little expensive for an xmas present just for me.

The only problem is.... my dad's wallet ain't an endless pit of money so I'm limited to about $1,600 (€1,800 / Fl. 4000,- ... yeah I'm dutch). So I'm gonna ask you guys what rig I should get. What I'm gonna do with the comp? .... mmmhh... I dunno :D Main purpose will be gaming, and some 'hacking'. I think I'm gonna install linux sometime. I'm also working on C/C++ so I'm into programming too. Basically I do all kind of things with it.

The G4's seem too expensive, so I was considering a G3. I heard (from an unreliable source) there's gonna be new G3's next year, possibly without the aged Ati Rage card. I haven't been monitoring this board actually, so I dunno, haven't taken the time to look for threads like this either. I'm just a complete n00b to macs again.

I can't wait to use Mac OS X. I've seen screens, but I never had the chance to use it. I'm really looking forward to getting that mac. :)

yeah, I certainly like unix 'goodness'... ;)
I really learned alot about comps just by starting to use linux. :)

So any advice on the comp? I'm sure you guys have the required experience to help me out. ;)

i'm not one of those who knows every model but i think you will get something you will like at that price.

2 questions -

1) am i right to think you want a desktop? or are you interested in a portable? basic issue of when and where you want to use it involed here.
2) are you in a hurry? willing to wait till after january 7-11 when apple unveils at macworld expo? Your choices may be different then. We have a big debate or two going about this in general discussions. of course some of the promos going on right now are pretty tempting.

glad to see you exercising your intelligence and getting a 'real' computer!!:D

If you dont want a monitor (as in you're keeping the one you already have) you could go for a low end desktop. After the macworld in a few weeks, the low end machine will problably be about an 867Mhz G4, and that will problably come with either a cd-rw or possibly a superdrive. (longshot) Of course, it will have at least a GeForce 2, and possibly something more powerful. Take a few weeks of from looking and see what macworld brings. If you dont want the tower, then I suggest that you looking into the non combo drive iBook. And mabey, just mabey, there will be 1Ghz flat iMacs in a few weeks.

Good Luck.

I'm looking for a desktop and I'm still keeping the old computer so I need a new monitor/speakers/etc. too. I think I can wait 'till january. The 1 ghz iMac will do. ;) But they really need another vidcard. It would be nice if they put a GeForce 3 in there or an ATI Radeon.... I wanna play Unreal 2 when it's finished and I want eye candy. ;)

The only problem is the $. I hope the new comps aren't too expensive, maybe the old G4s will become somewhat cheaper when they arive.

Dang, 3 smilie limit. I'm used to filling my posts with these things :D

Back