I'm getting more and more concerned.

spgmr2005

Registered
i've been on youtube for a while and i've noticed that almost every other video that has a macbook and macbook pro displays it crashing and malfunctioning. i'm waiting to get my macbook and these videos are making me think twice about the switch to macs. can someone please tell me if these are few in between or regular occurances in macs sold today. i really want a macbook(i think they're great with all of those cool apps and capabilities), but those videos aren't helping. if i want a computer to crash regularly, why not stick with a PC? is it really worth the switch? i'm open to any and all positions on the subject.

Hi spgmr,

It's not all of them that are crashing, it's a tiny amount of them. To start with, I've had my MacBook since it got out, and it doesn't crash - well, I use it differently than my G5, but let's just say it makes the G5 feel slow ..

that sounds good. i plan on doing some small video editting and of course the whole music deal. thanks for the feedback. i'll be dead set once i get some more replies. i just hope fryke replies to this thread, too.

Well, mine has the discoloration on the surface surrounding the keyboard. Apple will replace keyboard/surface under warranty - but I can't really part with my MacBook for two weeks. :/ Other than that, mine's running great and shows no other "symptoms". The heat issue was solved for me with the fan update. Now the fans come on more often, keeping the MacBook cooler. But I _do_ hear that since the beginning, some things were changed, some mistakes fixed, but others appeared.

I'd say: Get it, use it, and if something comes up, don't hesitate to have it replaced/repaired instantly. Did you order online, or are you getting it from a store?

there is a fan update? what exactly do you mean by that?
i'm ordering online, so that i can fully customize it to my liking. i'll get a 2.0Ghz D. Core, 80 HDD, 1Gb RAM, and the SuperDrive. i just hope that won't heat it up too terribly, but since you mentioned "fan update" i'm pretty optimistic.

Well, they issued a firmware update through the automatic Software Update. It addresses the problem. I guess if you order now, this update would already be installed, so you'd notice nothing about it at all.

thanks for the info, fryke. i just needed info from someone that has some serious knowledge about macs, not that anyone else is any less talented.

I have had my MBP for 8 months and have not had one issue I can only remember the bottom getting warm one time, when app hung up. I have not has problem, I say go for it you will enjoy your Mac.

My black Macbook is running fine, no problems. It does get quite hot, but not bollock-melting hot. Not yet anyway. I have done all the atuo updates so I assume the fan thing has been sorted?

Thanks.

Back